Thursday, June 03, 2010

Yesterday

School day yesterday.
Got rained on.
Ate Thai food.
Had coffee at Ladro.
The peanut butter cookie I ordered was misshapen, as if it had been baked up against the edge of the pan.
Most likely explanation, anyway.
What the need for such an explanation might be, I can's begin to guess.
So I referred to it as "Baroque".
My favorite barista was not familiar with the word.
"What's that?", she asked.
"It's a term for a odd shaped pearl" I replied.
"And where the word for baroque music comes from" I also replied although being an additional sentence, it was not precisely a reply any more but more of a post script.
And being spoken, not exactly scripture.
But this is irrelevant quibbling.
I might have also mentioned that it was, and is still a slightly derogatory term applied to anything overly ornamented; one could refer, for instance, to the automobile styling of the American cars of the fifties as 'baroque'.
And one would be right.
Of course you could refer, for another instance, to the American automobiles of the fifties as anything you'd like with a certain more or less random chance of being right or wrong.
But I can't imagine why you'd want to.
Anyway, I didn't mention that.
She said "I never knew that before", and I said, "That's great, I finally got to tell someone something they've never heard before".
And she smiled.
She has a nice smile.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lane Savant said...

Outtake;

This seems like such a nice place to end this post that I feel a bit guilty mentioning that on the way back up the hill to SCCC I ran into my composition teacher coming down the hill who informed me that he had to pick up his children from school because his wife had become indisposed and there would be no class today but that he was in contact with our clarinetist and rehearsals were imminent.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

Only you could take an
encounter with a misshapen
peanut butter cookie
and have it evolve into
Lane's Big Adventure.
When you first said that
the odd-shaped cookie
was "Baroque", I thought
it might be a play on
words, that the cookie was
"Buu--row--kk; broke."
Then again, baroque music
might have been the rap
music of that century;
all tinkle-tinkle harps-
achord, enit?
"Irrelevant quibbling"
sounds like a full chapter
in a college Philosophy
class, doesn't it?
I wonder if the chrome
excesses on those 50's
automobile could also
be called "recoco" styling.
I doubt that the barista
had ever seen a 1956
Buick grill before, like
that ton of grin on the
Roadmaster.
Your post script was dandy
too, letting life give
you a bit of a negative
capper on the positive
spin of the cookie incident.

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It ain't nessa Sara Lee cupcakes
It ain't nessa Sara Lee buns
The one who's supplyin'
The bread you've been buyin'

It ain't necessarily Sara Lee.

.......George Gershwin

10:05 PM  
Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

Actually, thanks for leaving
this posting up one more
morning. Re-reading it seemed
to double my pleasure and
insight into it. It is one
of your better pieces, sir.
Your place in the hallowed
halls of comedic philosophers,
in the presence of those few,
those very few, the Mark Twain,
Will Rogers, Andy Rooney,
kinds of guys, is beginning
to be cemented in. I re-posted
it, in its entirity over on
FFTR, with a photo of Jay
Leno's 1955 Buick Roadmaster
to illustrate it. Course, I
could have used the 1953
Oldsmobile, like the one you
pulled the engine out of to
put in Lucille (was she a
1949 or a 1950 Olds fastback?).
Remember how much fun it
was waiting for the wrecker
to haul the '53 away, tossing
Art's five foot long wrecking
bar through the windshield,
and even the doors? Yup,
we were a couple of wild and
crazy kids in 1960.
Gosh, look at that, tis
Friday already, and it's
raining. Our film club has
a screening of Godard's
1960 film, BREATHLESS, tonight
down in Tacoma. Our meeting
place and screening room is
in the old Pythian temple,
in the Theater District,
near the Pantages, and across
the street from the Theater
on the Square on Broadway,
for those of you in the
South Sound. We eat soup and
shoot the shit at 6pm, and
screen the film at 7pm.
You'all come, hear?

6:10 AM  
Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Oh -- I always thought Baroque(broke) defined the era way before Monet (money)

Not my line.

Rococo was too too much too. Give me Corinthian or give me limp donuts.

And I LIVE for the part of the cookie that was moulded up against the pan while baking. It's usually chewier. I freaking LOVE chewy-hard cookies. And I have fillings in every (remaining) tooth to prove that.

xo

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo, Lane!!
Glad you had coffee at the worthy Ladro rather than at the truly "Ladro" (= thief) Multi-
Misanthrope "Sb"!!
Tschüß,
Anonomann

3:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being