Thursday, January 11, 2007

Scrunchy, Smunchy Snow

Wow! Four inches of snow fell here last night. I've got some pictures.
I've been doing a lot of walking in it.
I missed one event because of it, but found another at the bottom of the hill where we live, trying to help people get their cars going straight,but basically to no avail.
As Ken Kesey once said, your car either goes up the hill or it stays down the hill.
This afternoon's walk showed all last night's stalled cars gone but some new ones sitting crosswise in the road. Kind of reminded me of my Alaska Army days.
Anyway, last nights walk was fun, listening to the different kind of crunching sounds footsteps make depending whether I was on the new fallen untrodden upon stuff or on the broken up ice bits.
The shadows of the falling flakes under the street lights made the surface of the snow look like they were teeming with crazed insects.
I love walking in the cold air and looking at the white blanket that covers all.
The snow on the trees creates a lacy fringe framing the lake and the sight of Mercer Island on the other side.

Also,it's nice and quiet, which is a blessing, living just above a main arterial and in between two airports.
The wind has been doing it's duty too, our two wind chimes are getting a nice workout
I recorded them for some reason.
I took pictures too, I'll post them one of these days.
For some reason, I don't have the desire for the usual snow related violence this time, no snowballs, just walking and breathing in the refreshing air.

Luckily for you, I got no poetic, philosopical, or psychological inspirations from the experience.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Not lucky us... I would have enjoyed a poem or philisophical essay, just as much as I enjoyed your descriptions, especially the shadows of the snowflakes... what a concept! Also, it helps me (again with broken pipes from the freeze) to enjoy this weather more.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am so impressed by your writing Doug! It's so insightful, poetic, picture making, thought provoking. I don't need to see your photographs to see the beauty you describe...makes me want to go walk in the snow and pay attention. I really am enjoying reading your blog.

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blogs ok, Doug. Don't worry about the pictures yet. You'll get the hang of it all.

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being