Tuesday, December 26, 2006

I Feel Good

No disrespect to James Brown, I loved the music and the personality, but, for some strange reason, I feel good. The world continues to be filled with hypocracy and is still a dangerous place to show any sign of vulnerability and I am still the same turkey I've always been, so I couldn't possibly explain it.
I had two performers, both of whom I respect highly, volunteer to play my music this year. That was nice.
I found this blog thing which allows me the catharsis of spewing my nonsense in my infantile tantrums. Which is sort of what I think Beethoven's appeal is made of. Would that I could do it as cleverly as he.
I'm getting some good response, so that I don't have to think of myself as totally non-human.
That is all enjoyable.
Hmmm...
I started going to church. Sure it's just the Plymouth Congregational's wednesday jazz service, but I don't have to actually trust or talk to anyone, so I feel reasonably safe. and some of the things that I've observed were amusing (see "surely not in church)
Also it allowes me to engage in my favorite study (The proper study of man is man, or human social psychology, primate research, or what you will)
Also the bible readings and analysis thereof have a new meaning now that I don't need to fear needing to be "part of it"
The usual family gathering seemed more meaningful somehow, having some less than happy people to compare mine with.
Ruby Lucille is two years old and a darling girl. She is speaking whole sentances
and engaging in conversational response. An obvious genius! I love her technique for opening Christmas packages.
Anyway I thought I would post a blog that has a happy theme for once, keeping in mind that Tolstoy didn't consider much of happieness as a theme for his big novel.
They did kick Napoleon's ass, however, not something I'll ever be able to brag about.
And, of course, there is always the hangover theory that states that, because all feelings, moods, opinions, judgements, thoughts, "knowledge" and whatever are the result of brain chemistry, and that all chemicals are eventually degraded and expelled, the higher the happy the harder it falls.
So I expect to be run over by a psychotropic bus soon (see "I love Emily")

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It always makes me nervous to hear that someone who I think is smart and rational is going to church, especially regularly. I am afraid they will be sucked into the "Born Again" Christian vortex and be lost to the real world forever…and that I will never have another conversation with them that is not screened through some judgmental maze. I have one nephew and one sister who have gone that way, and another nephew saying he sees where there may be value in surrendering…so I hope you will continue to write about your Wednesday night experiences/insights and explain the appeal.

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Liz; that is what I meant by quoting Lenin: "Religion is the opiate of the people." But hearing jazz in a church is music, not necessarily religion.
Who is Ruby Lucille?? A grand-
daughter?? Do you have children?
Unlike Talvi's blogspot which al-
ways mentions his daughters, you never mention any children.

1:51 AM  
Blogger Lane Savant said...

Liz, I have never found rationality to be of much value. The trick is, how do one deal with the irationality
one must live with every day.
The explanations of Bible events add wonderfully to my collection of absurdities.
For instance, Joshua's decision to invade "the promised land" (Canaan)
is treated as a question of courage.
No mention of the morality of starting a genocidal war that isn't over yet. The Jews should stick to humor, they're good at that.
The proper study of man is man.
The first object of that study is self, which immediatly plunges one into the study of the irrational.
The study of others irrationality is mere self defence.
It's a nice little trio; vibes, bass and piano. I keep telling myself to offer some scores.

Anonymous, the Ruby question is answered on the last blog.
Among other things, I never could afford to keep any children I might have, out of public school.

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't find any mention of a "Ruby" in your "last (24 December)" blog.

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being