Sunday, February 14, 2010

The best laid paints.

Didn't get around to actually painting the curtain rods y'day, one look at the join between the sections of the long one was enough to re engineer that cleft.
Had to find a way to center the things for a locating pin.
Then carve slots for some reinforcing bars.
Took 2 hours and overnight for the glue to dry.
Seems solid and strong enough today.
Got to get it primed and filled.
Then I can paint them all and M can hang the curtains which will then not match the wall colors after which the new furniture will be wrong after which and after which tomorrow and tomorrow and all down in newchristy minstrelsey for cran and for dorsen.

Sliced up some apple wood from our tree on the band saw and planed down some wood for ukulele backs.
And some laurel from the same tree trimming exercise.
Also have some madrona I got from a brother in law.
I am running low on spruce from my old piano soundboard, so I may have to find some other source for belly wood.
My most successful violin had a belly made of some scrap fir or hemlock I had laying around.
Gave it to a Soundbridge friend who preferred it and started to use it professionally
Ugly little bugger it was cruder looking than a Del Gesu with a fist rather than a scroll out at the end of the neck.

(Strange place to have a fist)

The back was some seriously spalted oak from the firewood pile.

She said it had a good sound.

Had a dream last night; Qphelia came back to visit.
Sitting talking to some other folks at our house, I said nothing to her until she left, when I said good bye.
I think it was not the socially proper thing to do.
But I'm only me, knowhutI'msayin'?
It's like I owe her something but don't know what it is or how to say it.

But she's like a comet that whose closest pass is a thousand miles every eighty eight years.
I just can't seem to be prepared to reach that distance.

I just don't seem to realize the gravity of the situation.

Or the calculus of the orbit.

So she's outward bound at the moment.

As am I.

3 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

Thanks for the DP/LS nod
on my analysis of HAMLET.
Ms. Ophelia is churning up
some emotional chaff these
days. Thanks, I found a bit
of the poetic in the last
few lines of this post.
The saga of the 10 foot curtain
rod, or is it 15, is wonderful.
I knew it had to be complex,
even convoluted. Wood does not
adhere to itself from suggestion
alone, enit?
My Miss M will want some changes
in our curtains soon, and new
paint on the walls, and a new
rug, and some wood floor action
where only a rug lies now,
under the dining room table,
and as at your house, she would
love to have the cabinets
refinished, and the counter tops
redone, and the stove and
microwave replaced. It is all
one unit at our place, and the
microwave barely works, so the
stove will have to be replaced
too; smart marketing back in
in the day. It is flat out
amazing what you create and
build musical instruments out
of, different forms of scrap
wood. Just shows to go ya
that one can get it done
with no attention paid to
tradition, creating your very
own traditions. Is there not
a photo of the fist violin
somewhere in the archives of
FFTL?? Maybe you have described
it so often, I feel like I
have seen it.
Had a 4 day weekend, and hell,
it barely wetted my whistle
for such leisure time. Played
some cards spouse, kids, and
friends, trudged out to see
BROTHERS at a second run
theater, braving the cat calls
and horse shit behavior of
the trillion adolescents left
off at the two dollar movies
in Federal Way. BROTHERS
is a terrific film, bringing
Toby McGuire back into the
dramatic fold, and letting
Natalie Portman and Jake
Gyllenhaal give him tremendous
support. They used New Mexico
locations to sub for Afghanistan,
and it was convincing too.
Amazon sent me my new Criterion
copy of CHE, Parts I & II, in
just one day, so I spent 6 hours
watching that Steven Soderbergh
epic with Benicio Del Toro.
It was only released as a road
show attraction for 1-2 weeks,
so I missed it in the theaters.
It should become mandatory
viewing for all movie and history
buffs out there, and of course
half assed liberals and
intellectuals too.
Soderbergh shot two movies on
the budget of one; quite a
dedicated and talented guy.
He can crank out the commercially
successful crap, like all the
OCEANS 11, 12, 13, etc. and
then find the time to do something
of this caliber knowing it will
not make back its investment in
release. Gonna take off early
Friday so that Melva and I
can beat some of the late week
traffic down past Olympia,
on the way to Pac Beach.

6:00 AM  
Blogger Lane Savant said...

I have published the fist violin.
I don't have a picture of it myself, but Jenny Thomas has a picture in her bio on her site which I should give you the link to and maybe I will if I ever find it again.
Actually now that I think of it maybe I should just find it and post it myself.

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo, Lane!
Your use of wood scraps makes you an unofficial East German; they are world champions in making do with otherwise scrap materials!!
All praise toy you for your talent and efforts to do likewise!!!!
Tschuess,
Anonomann (+LL, an East German, then and now) (Daniel was then, but now a Seattleite; better: Kirklandite)

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being