Thursday, October 22, 2009

P.P.S.

Wow, 64 widget hits! Should'a tried this 'long time ago.

The "Sad Song" is the favorite.
Originally it was a piece for accordion.
I've never heard that version.
If there's an accordionist out there who could use a tiny recording gig, lemme know.

Watch (and listened to, of course) to the premier of the Gustavo Dudamel version of the Los Angeles orchestra on Public telly last night.

Great show.

The Mahler warhorse first symphony was vital and energetic, truly a portrait of the victory of the soul.

Or something.

Argued with M. about the theme of the second mvt.
I say Frere Jaques, she says Three blind Mice.


The premier of the John Adams' new piece "L.A. Noir" (sic) left me wishing that big shot orchestrae would play more Zappa.

It seems that for the last fifty years or so the work of the composer has been to take the music out of music.

Maybe it's a sucker's game, but I want to put it back in!

Wish I had the necessary talent and skills.

I intend to persevere nontheless.

If my strength is incompetence, I'll just have to go with it.

Now for a completely different P.S.

Writing a 5 minute presto for full orchestra is a lot of work,
Especially when it's to accompany a solo string bass.

A lot of notes need to be "aligned"

I'm going to go do that now.

5 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

Wow, after several postings of
twenty words or less, regarding
the quality of widgets, it
was refreshing to jump into
a nice "longer" rant that is
smack dab back into the Palmer
mode, ascerbic, self-deprecating,
intellectual, philosophical,
silly, angry, insightful,
with a liberal sprinkling of
both horseshit and manna,
the result of a complete wringing
out of the composer's cortex,
and drying it on a rack, and
picking out the good stuff
that rise to the top. I took
a bunch of this posting, labeled
it COMPOSER'S BLUES, capped it
with a rare Frank Zappa illustration, and badda bing,
more instant Palmer poetics.
Nice to see that you are keeping
up on my latest tributes to
Sherman A.

Glenn

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo, Lane!!
You're right about contemporary composers taking the music out of music! That's right and that's why I lOVE your music -- because it is MUSICAL!!! You DO have the "talent and skills", but, so far, not the right promoters for your suberb compositions; the Talvis are a good place to start, but, hopefully, you (or we) can find someone more effective!! I've tried to promote Sam Jones' work (that I also admire!!) over here, but the fish don't bite my bate on him either. It's a sad life for me in that regard!!
Tschüß,
Anonomann

3:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo, Glenn!
Thanks for a (relatively) short comment that I was actually able to read until its end!!
Tschüß,
Anonomann

3:19 AM  
Anonymous hoif said...

interesting but there is a problem (for me): Zappa's music is only clever. It's not good to listen to 'cept maybe a couple of cuts from Hot Rats. Tried, saw the brute live 3 times starting in the 70s. great musicians, funny jokes, bad music, all artifice. maybe that's why he was prickly on the subject of Beefheart, he was smart enough to hear a problem. But perhaps you would be so kind as to recommend something from his vast catalogue that would rectify my not so good impressions of his tuneage. "Success" like freedom, is in your mind.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Lane Savant said...

Actually, Holf, I was being facetious,
I like Zappa but agree with you about the lack of depth. Fun to listen to, amusing and all. I mainly liked the weird sarcastic little songs.
The Adams still rings in my mind as a colorful and complex sound portrait of the darkness of L.A.

I mainly wanted to use the words "big shot orchestra".

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being