Friday, January 02, 2009

Post for the day '09

I thought that writing every day was supposed to improve my writing skills.
That's why you're s'posed to keep a journal.
But then, what do I need with writing skills?
Unlikely to be winning any glory by yapping about oats and milk for breakfast.
Or how I got tossed out of B-Hall.

I need some "life experience" to write about.
Of course, "life experience" takes real time.
Leaving little time to pound the old qwerty.

Tonight is the salon "office party".
Perhaps some major circumstance will fire my imagination and enhance my legend.

But...so what? I can hear you asking yourselves.
Which is a pretty good trick on the 'net.

News flash!!!

Seattle Opera announces next season.


Three Verdis (big surprise)

And a premier from the keyboard of Daron Aric Hagen.
(even bigger surprise)

The premier is "Amelia" (May 8-22), a Viet-nam based drama *(see note below)

The Verdis are;

Traviata (Oct 7-13)
Trovatore (Jan 16-30)
and
Falstaff (Feb 27 - Mar 13)

*note below
I have a spot of trouble with art based on major world events.
Especially political events which are for the most part fabrications in the first place.
You read the headlines, now see it live!
I realize that the pathos of death and injustice make for easier emotional impact, but that seems a bit like cheating to me.
A way of blackmailing the audience into taking the work seriously.
Who is going to boo a guy getting himself killed in an idiotic inanity like Vietnam?
Or some naive girl getting her self sacrificed in some ritual beyond her control.
Of course folks are going to react.
Why not just paint it on velvet with the eyes especially big?

My dramatic hero is James Joyce.
Whose Leopold Bloom is just "some guy" going through a day that could be typical for any of us.
As were his "Dubliners"
But great stories nonetheless, alive with the vitality of the moment.
All stories end with death, it's not the point.

An example, "Carmen" is not about how she died, it's about how she lived.
"Rigoletto" is not about a dead girl, it's about what kind of man Rigoletto was.

Phooey! this is gibberish, goodbye.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger kransberg-talvi said...

Some of us write, and try to everyday, to make sense of our lives.

I have a great recipe for steel cut oatmeal in the crockpot if you run into trouble. It comes out like it goes in...

2:01 PM  
Blogger Lane Savant said...

I write to find out how little sense I do make.
I've given up on the concept of "sense" although I still have an irrational relationship with this stuff of dreams.

4:11 PM  
Blogger kransberg-talvi said...

Why were you ejected from B Hall, anyway? If it's too sensitive to reply here: Is Big Brother watching? Then email me, or call.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Lane Savant said...

The whole story about my relationship with the SSO and B-Hall is in the blog archives.
And is one of the parents of the blog itself.
Search "Chutzpa" or "Origns* Issue"
It's in September '06 archives.
You can search "SSO" and "Seattle Symphony" too.
What the heck, read the whole archive.

*spelled just like that

11:01 AM  
Blogger Lane Savant said...

Oh yeah, tell me about the recipe.
Oats mean a lot to me 'cause of my Caledonian ancestry.
(My great great grandparents were eaten by the laird Campbell's dogs due to the evictions)

11:04 AM  
Blogger Jannie Funster said...

I got tossed out of J-Hall, was too bad for there even.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo, Lane, et al.,
Better an opera that is straight-forward about a war than a staging of an opera about something other than what the composer intended (i.e., a "Ring" in which Wotan is turned into GW Bush and Palin into Gutrune, with McCain as Guenther and Chaney as Hagen!!
Tschuess,
Anonomann

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being