Monday, October 13, 2008

Frank, Joe, and Mike.

Yesterday, Sunday October 12, a day which will live in, well, a calendar.

We drove the new Prius to St. Steven's Episcopal Church to listen to Philharmonia Northwest open it's 34th season with some Mozart, some Von Suppe, and the Haydn bros, Joe and Mike.

The Jake and Elwood of their day.

The show opened with the Mozart Serenade in D, "Notturno"

I find Mozart always to be problematical. If it wasn't for his elevation to some kind of God-like status, there would be no question of his genius but his music always seems childish to me.
I feel as if I'm being chucked under the chin or having my cheek pinched in order to make me cheer up. "Aren't I the cutest little thing" and the like.

It is enjoyable enough music, but I much prefer more steroids in the mix.

Then we moved on to Michael Haydn's Trumpet Concerto No 2.
With Ian Newhall playing the trumpet.
Mr Newhall wore a very snappy checkered vest with the usual black'n'white performers costume and played very well, much better than I and way beyond my ability to criticize.
The performance for me was soured a bit by the fact that the music was by Mike Haydn and not all that hot a piece.

My trumpet concerto is better.

Listening to Miles Davis on the way to the concert didn't help the comparison either.

Light Cavalry Overture by Franz Von Suppe.
I guess it's what we had to depend on before we had Rock'n'Roll.

Intermission:
I bought a cookie and a brownie (Meredith Didn't want anything) and searched the crowd for celebrities.

After which we were treated to Franz Joseph Haydn's Symphony No. 100 the "Military"

Trumpet (bugle) calls and additional percussion in the second movement are what make it "Military".
If you say so, to me it's no way as military as Jimi Hendrix's "Star Spangled Banner"
But how were the Haydns to know about Jimi?
It's a nice symphony.
The Haydn bros were nice people.
Joe's music was, and is still, nice, and his place on the roster of the greats is secure.

The band, led by Roupen Shakarian played well, as always, and a fine time was had by all.
At least I enjoyed myself as much as I'd care to admit without giving up any of my macho posing.

Noticed the lack of our names on the program.
I've been forgetting a lot this year, (including real estate taxes, whoof!)
So I'm going to have to cut them a check.

You too, support the many excellent volunteer orchestras in the area.

Save the dough you were going to spend at Benaroya and give it to Phil NW, Seattle Phil, Rainier Sym, Auburn Sym, Simple Measures, et al.

Just don't waste your hard earned stimulus check on the Satanic SSO.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

And let the classical good times roll, spiked with Savantistic simile and Palmer puns, and we are treated to a first class "REVIEW" Thanks for your memories. And your suggestion to have all of us, the overwhelming hordes of Savantites who clamor daily, to jockey into position to hear "the words" first, support the Arts--excluding the SSO behemoth bitch beast, of course.

Glenn

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo, Lane, Glenn, et al:
Sounds like a war-monger program, with von Suppe's "Light Cavalry" and J. Haydn's "Military", plus a trumpet concerto. G.W. Bush would have loved it.
Yes, Seattle has some great volunteer orchestras!
Tschüß,
Anonomann
P.S. I'll be returning to Redwing sometime in late afternoon or early evening on 17 October. Look forward to seeing you, Meredith, Keth, and whatever cats are lurking in your kitchen.
P.P.S. As always, LL sends her best regards.

1:38 AM  
Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

Well, it is Wednesday morning, and this should be a school day for the Dougster. Good news and bad news as I drove to work. It was 37 degrees at my house, with some ice on the truck windshield. I may have to put aside my summer coat and start wearing the big dog winter number. Gas at the Arco in Lakewood was only $2.90 per gallon. Good Golly miss Molly!!!
Shitfire Miss Agnes! Goddamn Sam!

The question is how long will this bliss last? Not long I suspect, until after the national elections.

Janet Leigh took a few minutes out of her sabbatical to write a lovely poem about Taffy, and our loss. A sweetheart, that Janet Leigh Dowd.

Rick Mobbs and wife Naomi spent a few shifts at a Social Center on the border of New Mexico and old Mexico, trying to care for the immigrants who have been arrested by the Border Patrol, and sent back to their dire straits. Qukite a report, essay, and narrative. Check it out over on My Enemy Grows Older.

Melva, grandson Ethan, and almost son-in-law Jesse all have October birthdays, so we went out to Outback last night and gobbled some beef steak and mushrooms--with Texas Blue Bell ice cream for dessert.

Glenn

5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being