Thursday, October 02, 2008

Back in town

Looked like a bit of rain today but I fired up the Vespa anyway to begin my next round of musical education.

Just a light mist as I pooted along the beautiful tree-lined boulevard of lake Washington.

Parked at SCCC (Seattle Central Community College) and headed downtown to RitzPix store #R 1030 to get the picture of my VW van with the Ferrari on the side converted to digital so I can show it to you.
Then on to Caffe Ladro for the usual.

While I was sipping my tall drip, three SSO musicians dropped by on a break from their musico-necrophilio polishing up of some "classical" musical corpse or other, then sadly dragged back to their Siberial penance.

Poor guys, they seem like such decent folks.

I, lucky I, on the other hand got to go to City Hall and listen to Hot Club Sandwich play their brand of thirties gypsy flavored jazz (think Django Reinhart)

Real live music, every one having fun, kids running amok, audience participation, applauding hot solos, everything that the snootocrats of the "classical" music world are so afraid to countenance.

Two acoustic guitars, one beautiful arch top electric, a violin, a double bass, a ukulele, a mandolin, some singing, what a deal!

Soooo...after that I trudged back to SCCC only to find I was an hour and a half early.

So I took a nostalgia trip in my old 'hood.
The Ferrari store was still there so I went in and bs'd with the salesmen for a bit then went to the coffee shop that now inhabits the building where I worked as a mechanic for 20 years or so.
This is a different coffee shop than the one at my shop in
Maple Leaf neighborhood which is a coffee shop called Cloud City.

This one is called Stumptown Coffee Roasters
They roast the stuff on the spot
Half a block south of Madison on 12th.

Gave me a free cup for the story of my years in the place.

Try it some time.
The coffee's good and the chocolate chip cookie ain't bad either.

Finally got to school fooled around with the flute concerto.
I think I've finally gotten it to work properly.

Got back to the scooter, the streets were dry.
At least until I got out of Madison Park and down the treacherous switchback curves to Lk.Wash. Blvd. where it rained robustly on my levied knees for awhile until I passed Leschi.
I was almost dry again when I got home.

Nice day.



My 67 VW van playing host to the very image of a 1949 formula one Ferrari.

I painted this in '85 when I had time on my hands in the first months after opening my shop.

Then in '97, Road & Track magazine published a picture of the thing, sadly faded, in their humor section. And I quit the 'biz

Anything for a laugh.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

I love the term,"siberial penance". There is a name for making up new words, but I can never remember it. I do that, make up words, all the time. It drives the Word spellchecker nuts. I just disregard the red, green lines and keyboard on merrily, or verily.

The time listening to Hot Club Sandwich does sound intriguing. Street jams, or public forums where people actually have fun are sorily missed here in the armpit of Washington, the South Sound. Shit like that used to happen all the time in the U District, or the Fremont District, or on top of Queen Anne Hill, or the bottom of Queen Anne Hill. Sometimes I lament that I did not stick it out as a Seattlite, running off to California for ten years like I did, a kind of Saharian penance actually.

This new coffee shop, are you talking about the space that was Flanagan's Automotive? My recall of your past is fuzzy, enit? And then you are talking about a coffee shop that inhabits the old Palmer Automotive site. Some rather significant karma and sychronicity there.

I am also vague on the timelines for Palmer Automotive. In 1985 I returned from California and began working for the VA her in Tacoma. Somehow I thought you were in business before that; perhaps not. Then you closed the shop in 1997, after a short 12 year run? So you have been "retired" for 11 years? Man, what a reality!

I liked the brevity that you handled your Paul Newman tribute with, just the year he was born and the year he died; nuff said--and yet I wanted to say more, show more. So I dug up 190 wonderful images from his films, and will put in a Bio and some comments, and do a kick ass tribute. Did you dig the composite pic of Sarah Palin on the cover of Vogue to illustrate your Palin rant? Thanks for considering the possibility of making me top dog administrator on FFTR, whatever that is. Maybe then I can get some recognition, and folks can click on my now dead name when I leave comments on other blogs. It all adds up to sound and fury and probably doesn't shit to a stump anyway. The painting of the 1949 Ferrari was very cool, by the way, some of your finest artistic effort. Do you still have a copy of the pic in Road and Track. Maybe you should have that blown up and enlarged and framed, and hung in a dark corner of your basement shop, near Fidelio's stall.

Glenn

5:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo, Lane!
Thanks for the pic of your Kreative Karz!!
While you are recommending places for coffee and other food -- and you drive through Leschi, let me recommend "Pert's Deli" in Leschi (on Lk.Wash.); it has the best sandwiches I've tasted in the Seattle area!!! It also has coffee, though I drink their free water, instead.
LL & I also send our regards to Meredith and Keth.
Tschüß,
Anonomann

1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being