Sunday, July 06, 2008

Something good about Soundbridge

From Seattle Times, July 5, NW Home and Life;


"About six years ago, I took my son to a Seattle Symphony Orchestra's "Discover Music!" concerts...

Afterward, we poked around the lobby, where a kind of "petting zoo" for orchestral instruments was on display. While my son screeched on a violin, I picked up trumpet for the first time in my life, put it to my lips , and -- wow!


In 2001, SSO opened Soundbridge a music exploration center, on Second Avenue and Union Street where interactive exhibits allow visitors to see what it's like to wield a baton or play in an orchestra. There are also real instruments to handle and 500 classical recordings at a listening bar.

Seattle Symphony's school curriculum includes "Symphony on Wheels", a van that brings orchestral instruments and education staff to visit third through fifth-grade kids at their schools."


Tom Keogh's experience at the instrument "petting zoo" brings back the best memories of my volunteer years at Soundbridge.
That - "Wow!" from the kids when they first experienced making sound come out of an instrument was the best reward I ever got there.

Too bad volunteering for the "Symphony on Wheels" job turned out so wrong.
I did enjoy my thousand hours of volunteering, however, and I try to keep in touch with the friends I met there.

Showing the Boy Scouts how to build violins was another high point.
Starting off with a small section of a log and ending with a finished violin creates a good metaphor for the process of self-fulfillment.

Kind of an "Ugly Duckling" story sort of thing, wherein we all have an inner beauty that we only need to believe in to realize.

This is what I try to remember when i think of my time there.
It all goes down the toilet whenever I walk by B-Hall, however.

Gotta new picture for ya.
I'll see your sweetie little kittens and raise ya an angel.


Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Lane Savant said...

don't miss Ilkka's post today on a theme similar to this one.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

It is surely a "healthy" thing that you can recall some poignant and pleasurable moments out of the midst of your 1,000 hours of volunteering at SSO, and working at Soundbridge.

Yeah, when you showed me your workshop, and I saw the stacks of raw wood that became violins, violas, base fiddles, and clarinets, it is kind of magical. Like when Michelangelo would walk up to a slab of rock and could visualize the figure within for sculpting. Sculptors have always fascinated me in that way. But we artists (hee hee) come in all sizes and temperment. When I face a blank page, it is some kind of small miracle to watch words appear out of thin air, out of cortexical caverns of cobwebs, and adorn the page, or blog site.

Ruby is an angel. Our grandsons, Ethan and Austin, aged 6 months and 2 years old will be visiting us soon. It does sadden me to think that you and I actually missed out on being fathers. You and Kristi gave up on that twice, and I have that give away son out there somewhere placed by the Catholic Unwed Mother's Society. We did, however, have the unmistakable privledge of being sterling stepfathers, enit?

Glenn

5:38 AM  
Blogger Lane Savant said...

Sparky's lookin' for ya, Slash.
Check yer e-mail.

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo, Lane!
THANKS for running the SeaTimes item on Soundbridge!!! It is a great idea and a fun place to volunteer. I STRONGLY hope they will see the grievous error of their sick ways and invite you to return as a needed enrichment for what they do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, too, for the suggestion that we read Ilka's Blog. I read it before I read yours, something I have never done in the past (always yours first and then others), but as you gave me a headsup orally yesterday, I read his first so I could comment on it here. Yes, Ilka, the US Americans are hypocritically prudish!! They eschew nudity (I must go fully-clad to the bathroom at your place, as your stepson requires this; in Germany (ESPECIALLY East Germany), FKK (= freie Korperkultur = nude) beaches abound; nobody there regards them as peepshows, simply as the natural way to swim; US Americans frown on nudity but devour girly/hunk magazines; is that "natural" or is acceptance of the human body natural?? This is one of the MANY reasons I feel more at home in Eastern Germany than anywhere else I've been!!!
I also feel "at home"in my current Seattle residence, except when I have to get dressed to go to the bathroom next door to my room. Why doesn't your stepson expect his friend thwe cat also to put on clothes when the cat slinks around the house??
Also re: Ilka's Blogs: When they are so great, why aren't Conus' and Ernst's violin concerti performed more often; they have NEVER been performed at any time anywhere I have been. ???

Tschuess,
Anonomann

3:55 PM  
Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

Yeah, Sparkie called me at work. I was going to try and drive up to Seattle to see him, but
a)the lens fell out of my glasses
b) he was going to call me on my cell phone while I drove, and now it is the law that one must be hands free with cell phones in moving vehicles
c)I did not feel physically able to drive to Seattle last night.

Tom Spiller, who I guess has lived in Seattle for years, picked Sparks up for a salmon dinner. Old friends emerging like ghosts from the machine, enit?

Glenn

5:15 AM  
Blogger Lane Savant said...

Butch, the 'net services like blogs, facebook, etc are assumed to be social devices for the young, but they are turning out to be invaluable
to us experienced types who are suffering from the diaspora that life inevitably lures us into.

Blog party! 24-7!

10:19 AM  
Blogger Lane Savant said...

P.S. yeah, the "stepfather" thing was the true joy of The Soundbridge experience.
Watching the little human beings learn something about music knowing that they had parents to go home to for the hard part of growing up.

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being