Thursday, July 03, 2008

The Week that Wednesday Was

The usual school day routine Ladro coffee & carbohydrate filled disc.

Then, on my way to the bank, I met Katy, she's in the process of leaving for a summer's relief of S'bridge's particular annoyances.
Aaron was helping her load the car. Hi Aaron, I'm taking a guess as to the correct number of the letter "A" in your name.

Didn't get to know Aaron much while I was there.

When it comes to public performances, I've noticed a sort of a Bell curve in the distances that people keep from the stage.
Some like to go right up and blend in with the performers.
Some stay in the back and watch, like spies, anonymously.
But most mill casually about in between, wanting to participate but unwilling or afraid to make a public display of their interest.

Which is why it is always impossible to walk by the flying fish ballet in the Pike Place Market.

Later after the bank transition, while walking past the Triple Door i checked out the schedule and noted that Charlie Musselwhite was playing...Tonight! so I bought tickets.

Last time I saw Charlie was in 1990 when Glenn and I were planning to go on a bachelor's evening's entertainment.
Meredith showed up and were changed our plans to something more suitable for mixed company.
Which turned out to be the fabled blues clubs of Fremont.
A mere three block walk from the Queen Anne house.

It turned out to be Mr. Musselwhite in a tiny bar.
It turned out to be very loud.
It turned out that the decibel level drove us out after a few songs.
If what it says on yesterday's comments that Charlie only knows one song then we could extrapolate the rest of the show.

I guess.

Onward and upward and eastward and outward.

The first thing that happened when I reached SCCC campus was a stranger came up to me and suggested that I cut my beard.
I'd look better, he said.

I have and I don't

So, once inside the Broadway performance building (that's where David's office is)
I grabbed a Weekly and sat to wait for classtime.
In the NEWS section there was an article about a McNeil island inmate, a "jailhouse attorney" who is being charged with a gross misdemeanor;

"Three months later he was charged under an 1869 law that prohibits all Washing citizens from exposing any "any living person to hatred, contempt, ridicule, obloquy, or to deprive him of the benefit of public confidence or social intercourse."
Violation of the law is a gross misdemeanor"


I don't know know if I ever had any public confidence, but being chased off a public street while in the process of talking to a friend definitely qualifies for a deprivation of the benefit of social intercourse.

So that's a lot of fun, eh, what?

Later in the same issue my horoscope informs me;

Don't let the scare tactics get to you. These dogs all bark.
They could bite you, and hard - which is why the scare tactics might work. Recognize that it's probably not worth their while, though.
You needn't be foolishly brave ; I suppose if you give them reason enough, they might make an example of you. However, there's no reason to let them totally derail you. Slow down and keep an eye on their sharp, sharp teeth. but continue on your way They'll do their best to terrify you, but once you've moved on anyway, they'll find other things to do, and almost certainly forget all about you


Forget about ME? We'll see about that.

After the class, i ran to catch the bus home only to find it was the wrong one.
fortunately I transferred before it was too late.

Then we went to the Triple door and listened to Charlie.
An hour and a half of vigorous, energetic, totally non-boring and even humorous music.
That's longer than Beethoven's ninth.
You can cheer when Stubbs rips off another fantastic guitar solo.
You can applaud even before the song stops.
Do watch the Gustavo Dudemal clip I've posted on Facebook.
He's conducting Venusuela in Bernstein's "Mambo" from "West Side Story"

Maybe HE's the one to define 21st century orchestral music.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Lane Savant said...

I've forwarded the jailhouse bit to the SSO summer site and to their lawyer.

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo, Lane & Co.!
Jetzt bin ich wieder (ab heute) in Seattle and happy to once-again read this interesting Blogspot. I even suggested doing so to a back-bench Minneapolis Symphony 2nd violinist I met while waiting for a train to East Glacier MT after we were bussed to Pasco, WA, by Amtrak because the train we were supposed to take broke down onits way to Seattle.
What's important is that a back-bence 2nd violinist 1789 rail miles east of Seattle knows ALL the dirty stuff about the stinking relations in the Seattle Symphony; he even knows more than I do here in Seattle!!! He's not surprised that Seattle's most stellar musicians J. Roman and Nathan Hughes (now principal oboe @ "The Met") left and "Jerry"is still ru(i)nning the show.
Good Katy is getting some time off for good behavior; Enjoy!!
Also on my train safaris, I met the director of another a capella blues chorus and suggested she see Katy and\or Amber Flame any time she gets to Seattle (I forget where she's at).
Nuff fer now!!
Tachuess,
Anonomann

3:25 PM  
Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

This posting is steller, mein Herr. It has brilliant segues, scathing sarcasm, dry and wet humor, some autobiographical touches (yeah, now that you have tweaked my memory bone, I do recall that Blue club incident in Fremont, with Meredith in tow.), and some self-deprecation coupled with self-ingrandisement (?).

It has been many a yearon since I wandered the corridors of the Pike Place Market, mixing the smell of fresh fish, wet concrete, and sprinkled fruit, with tooled leather and old paper. I took my three stepdaughters there like 12 years ago, and they were unimpressed. Of course, they were unimpressed with the Grand Canyon, so there you are.

Your analogy of audience members is insightful and sharp too, breaking down the populus into those groups of personalities that we encounter in every new social situation.

Perhaps you could scan a pic of the new beardless you, or did you just trim it? You always had a kind of lean character actor look to you, maybe it has returned. The Mr. Shaggy look has been your persona for many a decade now.

The McNeil Island piece is a bit confusing to me. Is the inmate sueing the State for violation of his rights, or is he being sued under the 1890's law? Good on you for sending the article on to SSO, the bastards. Incredible to have Anonomann back in the Northwest fold. His train trek is now kerplunked, and he is back amongst us. Perhaps he will share some of the SSO dirt. That would be sool cool, and dirty too.

As to horoscopes, although yours seems very informative, the whole astrological bit seems to have gone to the dogs.

Glenn

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being