Thursday, June 26, 2008

More interesting links

I'm spending my e-time surfing Facebook friend's friends.
I found this link through Alex's Facebook page.
It's been an interesting week.
We'll talk later.


Then there's the question of the bass clarinet

Deep

Baile

Marco Mazzini playing a couple of pieces on the bass clarinet.
"Deep" is by Alex Shapiro.
"Belle" was written by Francisco Colasanto

It's been a disappointing week for me.
After the troubles with the bike on Monday, Tuesday brought a trip to social security to do some paper work about Medicare or something.
Then Wednesday it was a trip to Group Health for a similar bout of bureaucratic incomprehensibility.
All having to do with Meredith's retirement from Boeing.
Who won't be paying for health insurance any more.
Don't blame them, really.
It's just that I paid my own health insurance for 30 years or so and now it seems it's out of my hands, which doesn't make me feel assured of anything other than gigantic companies' ability to weasel out of any contract with a nonentity like myself.
I am planning to continue my practice of not getting sick.
I'm too afraid to.

Anyway, Wednesday after the trip to GHC, and a recce to the local Volvo dealer, prompted by the mysterious running problem that Leah (the dirty brown Volvo we drive everywhere) has developed, I was preparing the musical offering for my Thursday class
when the phone rang.

It was David asking where the hell was I (he doesn't actually talk like that, I'm just exaggerating for dramatic effect, poetic license and all that sort of thing)
It's a new scholastic millenium (or quarterium) and My class is now on Wednesday.

Sorry, David.

So here we are again.
I've accumulated several new Facebook friends most of whom are either musicians or people I've known for years The joke about finally being friends after all this time is being exercised thoroughly.

But there is something heartwarming about using the word, saying it out loud.

I do hope you all forgive me for not waxing cynical.

What do I have for the picture of the day?























There.


Fast water in Oregon.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

I guess I will find some time and get off to Facebook today. Adrian Sparks, and Rick Mobbs have become "friends". I did not realize that Alex was there in the cyber maze as well, and on You Tube, and everywhere else. That lady is a cyber princess, a rare commodity in this harsh world; a blossom in the briars.

Alex's video on U-Tube is "no longer available", at least that is what I encountered.

Next June 14th, when the old sundial signals me that I, too, am 65 years old, then Mr. Medicare and I will get acquainted. Considering the 10% coinsurance costs on my treatments now with GHC, the Feds will be a welcome addition to my health team. I still have a several year plan to regain more of my former health. You are certainly spot on with your fear of ill health, it is no process for sissies, and neither is getting old.

So now it will be back to Wednesdays for your cookie and coffee comments, bus rides, museum stops, drop in concerts, exotic lunches, rants at SSO, library visits, and divers other surprises. That will be cool. It was somehow more comforting to have that posting come up on midweek for me, Hump Day. It signaled the downhill side of the week looming and approaching.

Kristine has dropped me my quarterly email. She is enjoying her "early" retirement, working hard on self-cyber-publishing her new book, THE WE FACTOR. She let me read an advanced copy, in order to get a comment from me that may grace the back cover, or inside cover flaps, as she did for DANCING WITH THE STARS. Husband Lee is feeling isolated in their newly built home in the rural area they moved to. Money is an interesting adventure for her now. But she trusts that Spirit or Fate will keep her head above water.

My quickie 6 day road trip to Montana was fun, even though my physical treatment last week left me with several aches and pains to deal with. Melva's aunt and uncle adore us, and it is great to spend a few days with them playing pinocle, and shooting pool on an ancient basement table that is not level, but still fun.

Well, it is significant that I stopped by here before I stopped by FFTR, or KELP, or the Mobbs or the Leigh sites. Ta ta.

Glenn

11:31 AM  
Blogger Lane Savant said...

Yeah, no longer available.
I cut it.
Good to have you back.
I've been racking up Facebook friends at analarming rate.
It's alarming to an old fart like me, anyway.

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liar liar pants on fire.
The link works.
So does the composer.
Thank you!
I was really delighted when Marco Mazzini did that video, totally out of the blue.

Much as I am entirely cyber-participatory, pixels dripping off of my skin and falling to the floor in jaggy little heaps, I am actually cynical about much of the social networking stuff. Yes, it connects people who would have otherwise been quite pleased to ignore each other. But really... I'm not certain why I need to know at any given moment who's online, what mood someone's in, who they have befriended, all their favorite books, etc. etc...

We should all say, "if ya really care, drop an email." Some would say, "pick up the phone" but I am phoneophobic and prefer not to have to speak to anyone on command. Even my answering machine makes it politely clear that I screen calls.

So yes, I suppose social networking sites are a form of slow-motion connection and call screening.

The one that I do think works amazingly well is MySpace-- the music networking side of it. I've gotten a LOT of business and biz contacts from being active there. But that's a site with a purpose. As opposed to a site with a porpoise, like Sea World.

Thanks for sharing my morning rant over my first cup of coffee. Good to hear from both you boyz. Welcome back from Montana, Glenn, and on behalf of all Americans who have failed to boot the bums out of office, I apologize for our wickedly evil and terrible health care system, Doug.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Lane Savant said...

Your link worked when I posted it but
I got the "no longer available" when I tried it yesterday

What I like about Facebook is the (theoretically) unlimited number of mp3 uploads.
Not that it's gotten me any business.
But, I am a ottist and reject filthy mammon.
Or some such ego-saving rationalization.

Yeah, a lot of stuff on F'book is silly, but Joshua Roman is now a friend of mine (at least in one definition of the word)
Although he hasn't answered my message about my 'cello duet.

The thing about all the e-social networks is that when Mr Roman hits the wall with his career, my invitation will still be on his "wall" and he can pick up a few bucks to help him along 'til he gets back on his feet again.
Unless I'm just too senile to remember what it was all about in the first place.
Something tat seems to be happening to me as I type.........

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being