Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Mandora

I've been working on the latest musical instrument project, the mandora, (mandola, funny-looking guitar, whatever)
Been painting it, so to speak
With Rustoleum spray can lacquer.
You may recall from earlier posts that I laminated the neck from two different colored woods so as to have a striped look to the neck to go along with the body which is made of thin strips of wood glued together at the edges sorta like a boat.
But when I went to stain it a bit, the stain immediately darkened the whole thing one unpleasant color.
So I had to give up the striped idea except that trying to wipe the stain off caused some streaks that wouldn't re-stain of come out or the hell with it.
So anyway, I sprayed it.
Coupla coats it started to look better so I thought why not, there are already many other blemishes, live with it.
Then it was on to the sound board.
Nice lookin' hunk of spruce from my old piano.
Filled and sealed it, looked awright.
Sprayed it, started to look rough, all beaded up and what all.
Gave up for a bit in frustration.
Coupla days contemplation, I decided to sand it down to the wood and try again.
Didn't get to the wood, but it started to look smooth so I put on another coat.
Better.
Sanded down a couple more coats and it started to look ok.
polished it out ant it looks great. (coupla tiny scratches, but for me, only a coupla tiny scratches is perfection)

But, now! the damn back looks horrible.
Sanded back to the wood (almost, I left the surface all mottled with some of the old finish).
Restained with a subtle blend of colors to get a sort of mahogany leopard spotted kind of look.

Better, but still true to my crappy workmanship standards.

Now I'm in the process of spraying and sanding the hull and I can't for the life of me imagine why anybody would read this far into what must be right up with the best in the most boring blogs of the twenty-first century, only ninety percent of which is still left to endure.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo, Lane:
Isn't it more important how an instrument sounds than how it looks? I look forward to hearing this instrument.
Tschuess,
Anonomann

4:05 PM  
Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

Actually, the description of your
instrument making is far from
boring, self-deprecating sir.
For most of us who have no real
ability to build things, the
Palmer "crappy" standards of
creation are wonders to behold.
This old damp winter leads to
a lot of basement creativity
for you it seems. Remember I
have been around long enough
to remember the cars you created
out of scrap and thin air,
with you homemade forge and
inner schematics, and Gokwis,
and I think you made a canoe
once didn't you?
So, hell, it is refreshing
that you are not building
things with inappropriate tools
or just guts and bubblegum
and thinking they are of some
superior quality. That would
be more sad than you being
your most effective critic.
My cold is finally getting
a tad better. I actually feel
semi-OK this fine rainy
Stones/Floyd morning. My
TFC meeting went well last
night. I dread them, not being
much of an administrator, but
the people I have on the
executive committee are first
rate, and it always energizes
me to be in their presence.
We screen BRICK this Friday.
See it if you haven't. Do
you use Netflicks or what?
Or do you just watch what
you can get on the tube?
Hallo, Anonomann, nice to
hear from you.
I have got real deep into
the poetry of Richard Smyth
over on FFTR, another English
professor who writes on the
side. Nobody but Sherman
Alexie makes a living out
of poetry. I haven't got into
WAR DANCES yet. Is it pretty
good? Finding some great images
to accompany Smyth's poetics.
Got a haircut. Always amazes
how much better my hair looks
when it is groomed.
4.5 months to go, and then
what the hell will I do with
all my ties, dress shirts,
slacks, and sweater vests?
Maybe just dress up to go
to TFC functions, or poetry
readings and such. Maybe
get dressed up just to sit
around the house and
entertain the cat.

Glenn

5:54 AM  
Blogger Jannie Funster said...

It sounds a right unique and loveable instrument.

And I always say a spray from a can is worth two in a bush, or something like that.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Blue Bunny said...

i nebber lerned to play the violynn. or to eet wit a forke, but mebbe its not too laet for me?

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Bugs Bunny said...

Ahh, what's the deal, Doc? You are beginning to let rabbits have the run of the site? That would make your humor worth 3-4 carrots, enit?

Bugs

2:42 PM  
Blogger Lane Savant said...

Most likely it'll sound like a rubber band stretched over a cigar box.
That's what most of the junk I build sounds like.
My excuse will be that I'm trying some new bracing scheme.
There will be pictures, as there have been in the past.

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Blue don't be afraid....
You don't need strings, just pound those powerful hind legs on a Pearl R&R drum kit.
That's what I like to do.

.......Thumper.

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being