Friday, July 11, 2008

Two by four by eighty eight

Melinda Bargreen is now working for KING-FM.
I've added the link.

Hang in there R.M, there's hope for a bright future yet.

Today we go to Lakeside for the Chamber Music Festival.
Hopefully early enough to sit in on the rehearsal.

Then Sunday, it's the Whistlestop, our favorite Renton pub, where we will hopefully have the whole gang, including our favorite dead poet and our favorite dead imaginary dead composer/guitarist/motorcycle aviator.

I did enjoy the Ives as presented by Jeremy Denk Wednesday evening.
Although Ives sometimes stretches pompous passion to the point of imbecility.
This audience doesn't applaud between movements but there was a bit of laughter at one point when an actual tune made an agonized entrance.

I enjoy Jeremy as much as I enjoyed the music.
All the more for bringing John Cleese and Marcel Proust into the mix.

Harmonies too dense to be very distinguishable, umm....a couple more 2x4 chords and we might have an American P.D.Q.
Really dense chords turn into white noise, there's only about four of 'em distinguishable on any piano.
One could use a 2x4 the length of the keyboard and claim that one was playing all the piano music ever written "sur la coupe"

But Whattawhyknow?

Ives was an insurance salesman, had his own company.
He brought many insurance scams to the notice of the insurance commission through the expedient of creating them in the first place.

Fortunately, he never got to hear most of the stuff he wrote, or he might have tried to "work on it a little bit" this sort of activity by an artist usually does little more than confuse things.

I've got a rather hefty anti-insurance company jones left over from my days running my pathetic little auto repair shop

5 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

Early afternoon at the Whistle Stop Cafe in Renton, there will be a meeting of the Lane Savant, FFTL, fanbase. There might be a turnout of hundreds, or less. We will take over the joint. I believe we will, Melva and I, both be travelling north to the Savant climes, and the mossy messy shores of Lake Washington. Hopefully, there will be no incidents, fist fights, screaming matches, or arrests this time. A lunch date with Palmer can morph into a soap opera in the snap of the fingers. But that is a huge part of the charm that Doug effortlessly oozes.

Glenn

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Motorcycle Aviator....damn, I like the sound of that, like a new Marvel comics character; some dude who does not have real super powers, but like that loser who drove Nightrider, the supersmart car, I would ride Harleyhogg, the superbike that flies; like the bike the giant rode in HARRY POTTER, enit?

.........Eddy

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or a snap opera with soap on it's fingers.
............Mister Switcheroo

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo, Lane!
Isn't your blog named "Feel Free to Laugh"???
The why should concert audiences not also feel free to laugh when they sense humor in music??
Tschuess,
Anonomann

4:29 PM  
Blogger Lane Savant said...

Didn't say they shouldn't I laughed at that point myself.
I appreciate that you and the rest of the audience laughed too so that I didn't embarrass myself in public inadvertently.

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being