Monday, November 03, 2008

What about it?

Elektra was a great show.
Wish I could have watched more performances.
The singing, the music, the acting, the lighting and the setting gelled in several places to create very moving moments.

The denouement where Elektra is being torn in two by the combination of utter joy and utter horror is truly terrifying.

Made even more terrific by the acting, which made Elektra quite intelligent.
Which makes the "madness" deeper.

The way all you intelligent people are driven apoplectic by the incredible stupidity and tortured logic of election campaigns.

I, personally, would like to be able to vote all of them off the planet.

Come to think of it, she's being pulled in many directions.
there's the Joy/horror strain and the Mad/intelligent strain.
Makes me think of Hamlet in many ways.

Especially when she gets her chance to kill her nemesis and balks.

After the show, at the Q and A session, Mr Jenkins explained that the appeal of these Greek dramas is that they are about family.

Traditional family values.

Like Hamlet's family, like the family in Godfather or the Sopranos or the
Bushes or some family I never had.

Or the Belfrys, with all the bats at home.

Heckelphones were also discussed.

They are German Bassoons.

If anybody ever asks.

Glenn has received an honor.

Check out Glenn's work at

Glenn

Well deserved honor, I might add. Go read it.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jannie Funster said...

I'm voting for the girl who sells hotdogs at the Faerie Fayre. (She also plays bassoon.)

10:06 AM  
Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

Thanks for the plug, big guy. Atta boys are grand gestures in this age of cynicism and stoicism and fascism from the Great Oil Party. Hopefully today, yes, this very day, the Republicans will be bitch-slapped and pushed back and down, and President Obama will rise shining to the top of the dog pile. By the weekend, or sometime next week we will know who the next President of these United States will be. I wonder if the voter turn out will be the whopper that CNN is suggesting? Do you vote absentee in King County, Lane, or do you fight your way through the lines at an actual voting place?

Interesting references to Hamlet you have. Check out the latest Sherman Alexie poem I transcribed:
AFTER THE TRIAL OF HAMLET: CHICAGO 1994. Alexie is like a legal drug for me. He helps me get through the day.

Glenn

5:35 AM  
Blogger Lane Savant said...

Just got back from voting.
Walked four blocks.
Catching cold.
Meredith's cold.
Ahhh....chooo!!
Scuse.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

I will feel bad if you catch a cold. You always go to ground, and bury yourself in quilts when a virus invades your temple. I will feel much worse if McCain is elected President, and Bush begins his third term. I sit at work staying busy, not looking at the TV, not wanting to feel over confident in the early numbers for Obama, and not wanting to be angry and depressed if McCain finds a way to rig the damned thing in his favor, ala "W" times 2.

Glenn

2:27 PM  
Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

We did it! Barack Obama has been elected as President! Goddamn!
Hurrah! I was so excited this morning that I got to the office and whipped out a free verse congratualations to all of us. Check it out. It is called
"America! America!"

I am smiling so hard I look like Heath Ledger as the Joker, smiling so hard it hurts, hurts good.

Glenn

6:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo, Glenn!!
This anti-war poem IS really great and not doggerl!!!!!!!
I deserves whatever prizes it won and will win!!!! Its story could even be turned into a "short" film!! Go to the 2009 Film Fest (for which I will also be in Seattle) and talk to some of the "short" producers/directors and give each a copy of your poem.
Best wishes!!!!!!!!!!
Tschuess,
Anonomann

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo, Lane!
Thanks for recommending and providing the easy link to Glenn's super-excellent anti-war poem!!
Please send a copy of this blog on "Elektra" to Speight; I KNOW he would greatly enjoy reading it!! I already told him my kind host wishes he could have seen it more than once!! It certianly deserves this!! That's why I bought standing room for 5 of the performances and heard it a sixth time on the broadcast. It is THE best production I have ever seen at Seattle Opera (something I've also written Speight!!
Tschuess,
Anonomann

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being