Thursday, October 30, 2008

Per un pugno dollari

Yesterday I found a big book about Clint Eastwood at the library.
Turns out that clint spent some time here in the 50s and 60s.
Part of that time as a lifeguard in Renton.
This brings up a strange memory for me.
At the beach in Seward park there is a pottery studio where I once took a class and I remember the guy, big guy, good lookin' fella, who tended the kiln.
What I remember is that he gave me a funny look when I told him to
go ahead and bake my clay.

I just wonder.

In the meantime, the Quartet recording project progresses.
I've located all the players and David is organizing the event.
I'm beside myself with anxiety, which makes it a little hard to type, what with me getting in my way and all.

I am also considering that book of the Bible "Ecclesiastes" which starts out,

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity

This "demo tape" is going to cost a bit, but what the hey?

Watch the following at your own risk.

Pequeño Sarah

Then visit Oboeinsight for a vid of Aretha
Which will reassemble your head.

If Respect is better than idolization, I'm doin' it!

She also sings "Nessun Dorma"
And I'm sorry to say pales in comparison to Luci.

It's a nice try but she'll never be better than Aretha

Nor will she ever need to.

For the last few years, I've been writing a series of "concertos" starting at the top of the score with the flute and moving on down through the oboe, clarinet, bassoon, horn, trumpet, trombone, tuba, and violin.
The next in line (unless I want to write a concerto for second violin) is viola.
So I've been writing short pieces for viola and piano to get the feel of the instrument, or at least as much of it as I can get from my viola patch.
Also I'm converting the James Joyce poems from tenor to viola.

The viola has a very dark tone and I get the feeling, at the top of its range that it that it kind of wishes it were a violin.
So that it could fly.
But it's is a more pensive sound.
More philosophical.

That's sorta why I thought of the JJ poems

Now that I think of it It seems a good sound for Anna Livia Plurabelle as she floats out to sea.

After that it's the cello.

Which is stuck to the ground with that pointy thing coming out the bottom.

Then Bass.

I was once vacationing in a little south sea island.
As soon as I got off the plane I heard some drumming.
Pretty good drumming.
The drumming continued through the night.
The next morning, I asked the desk clerk what it was all about.
The desk clerk told me that it was a very bad thing if the drumming ever stopped.
A very bad thing.
When I asked why, he said;
When drum stop, Bass solo start

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is this Anna Lulubell person, anyway.
Is she as pretty as me?

.............Alice Vannity

12:39 PM  
Blogger kransberg-talvi said...

I'll bet your quartet members consist of a colorful collection of characters..

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo, Lane!
Since this blog started off with Clint Eastwood, I must mention that just over an hour ago (at 1:20 p.m.) I left the Pacific Place cinema after admiring his latest film, "The Changeling", for which he akso composed the atmospheric score. It is a great film (unusual for the USA, which normally turns out more trash than the sanitation department collects. Perhaps this is an exception because it is a real story about actual events in the twenties and thirties in LA -- and because Eastwodd directed it.
I'd suggest all you Blog readers see it!! At the Pacific Place tickets are only $6 for those who see the film at 10:30 a.m. (or any film there Fri., Sat., or Sun. before 1200 Noon.
Tschuess,
Anonomann

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo, nochmals, Y'all!
Next Thursday (6 November) I fly back nach Deutschland. I look forward not only to being with the LL again, but also being able to use a computer keyboard with Umlauten und S-zetten.
Tschuess (without those refinements),
Anonomann

2:44 PM  
Blogger Jannie Funster said...

I always think of the viola as the wind beneath the violin's wings.

"Go ahead, rake my hay." That's what my dad said to Clint when he popped by our dude ranch in 1973.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Lane Savant said...

The quartet consists of the best and the brightest
There are also some superlative looks
And some superlative hair.

Probably need scientific notation to calculate the I.Q.

As far as color is concerned,red and orange seem to predominate.

Jannie, that's beautiful.
I'll think of that when I write.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

Squint Eastwood a lifeguard in Renton--is that cool, or what? Anonomann...what a rave review for THE CHANGELING. Melva and I are off to see it this very afternoon.

When I was trying to be an actor in Hollywood, I worked for a time in a fast food joint in Los Feliz. Clint came in with a couple of blonds and bought a boatload of burgers. I was hovering near his table, wondering if I could, or should, say something to him. Suddenly he stood up and said, "Hey, punk, do you feel lucky?" I stared at him and he said,"Take my tray." And I did.

Glenn

2:19 PM  
Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

Gee, I thought my Eastwood story was pretty good too, but no atta boy from Lane? Tough love for sure.

Melva and I did go out and see CHANGELING on Saturday, and we enjoyed it very much. Angelina Jolie can be very effective when directed. Hard to believe since the 30's backgrounds of LA looked so sumptuous and accurate that they filmed the whole thing in Vancouver, BC, and used a ton of CG--but according to the credits, that's what they did. I kept thinking, this is all too perfect; there must be some CG involved here, but they could have filmed it in Detroit the way Eastwood handled the techno stuff. A true story, a morality play, a tear jerker, good trial/jury thriller--this film is packed with a lot of goodies. Anonomann gets kudos for seeing it first and recommending it.

My daughter, Leslie, and son-in-law, Joel, have moved out this weekend, and into their new home over in Tacoma. Our oldest daughter, Chrystal, and the two grandsons are spending most of their time at our second daughter's house in Tacoma, so it is fairly quiet around here after being like a bus station for several months.

Leslie's cat, Jonah, has been listless and feeling punk, so she took him to the vet. Turns out he has feline AIDS, and will have to be put down. He is not quite 2 years old. So we have to be concerned about the status of our cat, Keezie. He will need to be checked out, and if he has it, as an outside cat that could spread it around the neighborhood, then the too will have to be put down. So in one month it seems we have swsept through our home and put down ALL of our pets.But we hope Keezie, who is a great Tom, will be okay.

Well, Lane, as you type in your first November posting, all this October stuff will slide into the archives.

Glenn

5:53 AM  
Blogger Lane Savant said...

Butch, I just got an email from you that wasn't exactly from you.
Anyway I read the poem and have concluded that while Clint is an entertainer and a pretty face, you are a poet.
There is more art in one of your works than in all of Eastwood's "Fearless Fosdick meets the Keystone Kops" adolescent fantasizing.

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo, Glenn!!
Glad a film expert like you also liked the "Changeling", and I am surprised that a person so empathetic as Eastwood in the films he creates (and scores so masterfully) could be such a nasty arrogant s.o.b. as he was to you in the Los Feliz eatery.
Tschuess,
Anonomann

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo, Glenn!!
Glad a film expert like you also liked the "Changeling", and I am surprised that a person so empathetic as Eastwood in the films he creates (and scores so masterfully) could be such a nasty arrogant s.o.b. as he was to you in the Los Feliz eatery.
Tschuess,
Anonomann

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being