Friday, August 15, 2008

Hot stuff

Splog alert!

I've had a complaint that my bike posts are not interesting because "whocaresabouthowfastyou'regoingwhatdidIseealongtheway?"

Spell checker is having a fit.

See last bike post.

This one is about the weather.
My little counter also has a temperature reading.

As you no doubt recall, my last bike ride ended with an accumulated total of 666 miles, which Butch points is a diabolical number.

So in fear of my immortal soul, I decided a 34 mile ride would take me up to 700 miles, a reasonable goal.

At the top of the floating bridge (7 miles?) I had to stop for water. The temperature was a mere 91 there. At the top of the Mercer Island portion of the trail, I had to stop again. The temperature there was 95. I changed my mind about the 34 miles and decided to "just go home".
At junction of the I-90 trail and the Lk Wash trail, 12.5 miles I had to stop again. Usually, this is the only stop I need to make. Later going around Renton airport, it was 97! after 3 more stops, nearing the Holyoke climb to Waters, It was 99.

I didn't see any beautiful scenery.

I saw spots before my eyes!

I did see another airplane body on a train as I sloshed through Coulon Park.

Miles 24.4,
Time 2:12:07,
Average 11 mph,
690 total accumulated miles,
Temperature, 91 to 99.
I contemplated staying out a bit more to try to get the last degree, but I'm only pretending I'm crazy.


Now about this Holyoke bizniss;
As you know, I'm reading abt. Emily the poet babe Dickinson.
She attended Mount Holyoke Female Seminary for a year.
Point being, Holyoke is just about the coolest word I've ever had the sheer unadulterated pleasure to speak.

Heres a quote from the book.

Sewing Society has commenced again -
and held it's first meeting last week -
Now all the poor will be helped -
the cold warmed -
the warm cooled -
the thirsty attended to -
the ragged clothed -
and this suffering - tumbled down world will be helped to it's feet again -
which will be quite pleasant to all.

Later on the same page;

I don't attend -
notwithstanding my high approbation -
I am already set down as one of those brands almost consumed -
and my hardheartedness gets me many prayers.

Imagine what she could do with a blog site.

I always knew she was one of us.

I could see it in her face.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo, Lane!
Despite the first four letters in its name, Holyoke is NOT a religious educational institution, so your Emily did not get contaminated.
Tschuess,
Anonomann
P.S. I will soon be back in the Land where I can write "Tschuess" with an "u-Umlaut and ss with an "S-Zett"

3:13 PM  
Blogger Lane Savant said...

Holyoke is where she began her break with the church.
Which is what the second quote is all about.

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being