Monday, August 03, 2009

What's weak this week

Temperature, Wednesday we got to 103, an all time, (since us palefaces got here anyway).

Record.

Rest of the week has hovered around 90.
Wednesday was schoolday and I rode the Vespa into town through the oven of downtown air.
At temps over 100 there is no wind chill factor. It would have been great to take off the helmet but I'm afraid the cops would beat the crap outa me for daring to take a chance with my own health.

Actually on the lake Wash bike ride near the end, in the 90 degree heat, I did manage to nod off about three blocks from home and ride into the back of a parked car.
Fortunately I was going about 3-1/2 miles per.
Fortunately also there was no car alarm.
The legally mandated helmet did nothing because my head made contact with nothing.

Whole lotta nothin' goin' on.

O baby

Anyway the clarinet-piano piece is more or less finished (as finished as these things ever get, I suppose)
Only four weeks until the next salon. Margie and Ilkka Talvi have promised to play a piano reduction of the 2 violin concerto for me at that event.
At least, I remember it that way, It could be a dream.
Could also be a dream that the conductor of the Rainier Symphony said they would play the full orchestra version.
That must have been a dream.
But it's something to live on for awhile.

I have been trying to learn how to play the clarinet (it's the instrument I play least worst) but I seem to be too physically uncoordinated, and I can't seem to keep my mind on the task at hand, as in which fingers go where and which fingers come next at the same time as I try to read the (very simple) score I wrote for myself.

Anyway the mandola project progresses. The neck is laminated and mostly carved.
Had a bit of trouble getting the joint between the body and the neck carved.
Got it all fitting nicely then noticed that the neck was not parallel to the body.
Had to shim it up.
At least it's not in a place where it will show when assembled.

The excitement of the Chamber music festival (and the many other excitements of this full month) wanes and starts to dissipate.
Rotting away into a bit of a psychological hangover.

Volatile psychotropic brain chemistry.
High and low.
Love and death.
Winning and losing.
Nobody wants you when you're down and out.
Nobody wants you when you're up and about.
Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you.
Pride goeth before a fall.
Fall goeth before a winter.
The agony of victory, the thrill of defeat.
A war hero in the street with a bottle in a bag.
Agony and ecstasy.
The inevitable.
For every thing there is an anti-thing.
Turn, turn, turn...
For every anti-thing there is an Aunty Florence.
Turn, turn, turn...
For every Aunty Florence there is an antimacassar.
Hubris is on first,
Watts on second and I dunno on third.
Turn, turn, turn...
Off the computer...
Turn, turn, turn...
Off the computer....
Watt?
Second!
Turn it off!

O.K.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo, Lane!
You are right about the cops looking for any reason to beat a civilian up!! A cop I once (30 years ago in Germany) confessed that the only two professions where one can beat people up without being charged with a crime are prizefighter and (you guessed it) cop!!
Tschüß,
Anonomann
P.S. Hope you were NOT dreamiung about the Rainier Symphony conductor who wants to program your concerto -- and I hope it is performed when I am in Seattle!!
P.P.S. The word I must type to get this comment accepted is "gorear"!!

2:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo,again, Y'all!
I don't know why my comment was printed twice!
Tschüß,
Anonomann

2:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being