Friday, July 31, 2009

A night at the Chamber music festival

The final performance of the Seattle Chamber Music's summer festival at Lakeside School was tonight.

I Was There!!!

What a study in contrasts. Supernal Bach and Desperate Liszt before the show even started. Played excellently by Ran Dank. Then at eight o'clock Jeremy Denk and Erin Keefe nailed Edvard Grieg's Sonata for Violin and Piano Op. 45.
Grieg's music has been called "chocolate covered snow" Chocolate covered snow my ill-carved dovetail joint.

Gin and tonic snow, perhaps.

Ludvig Thuille writes like Sarah Palin talks. Seemed like about an hour of notes went by refusing to consider becoming music. I know I got the best possible rendition of this boring turkey because Scott Yoo, Stefan Jackiw, Che-Yen Chen, Robert deMaine, and Adam Nieman played it brilliantly, I stood to applaud their courage and sacrifice. I wont tell you what the piece was so you won't be tempted to go listen to it.

I do this for your own good.

Then I went out side for a while and drank some lemonade. It's free and I think it has a soothing effect on the throat so the coughing is ameliorated.
Not that I needed any of that tonight. I'm healthier than Greg LeMond's left leg.

I'm going to ride tomorrow.

Stephen Rose, Richard O'Neill, Ronald Thomas, and Ran Dank (of the earlier magnificent Bach) played a nice Dvorak Piano quintet E-Flat Op.87. I like Dvorak. One of my favorite American composers. So did everyone else in the room. A perfect night, even some music for me to hate. Bravo, Brava, Bravi.

So We have a pianist named Dank, and a pianist named Denk, I assume, hope rather, that the rest of the vowels are called to similar duty somewhere in the world.
Dank, Denk, Dink, Donk, Dunk, and some times Dynk and Dwnk.

Goodnight and goodnight Ms. Ophelia, wherever you are.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo, Lane!
Who was the woman you shouted "brava" for in the Dvorak piano quintet? I'm sure the "bravo" and "bravi" were well-deserved, if you rewarded them therewith. I've never heard Dank but if he's half as great as Denk, I'm sure I will like him!
Tschüß,
Anonomann

2:21 AM  
Blogger Lane Savant said...

Erin Keefe did the terrific job on the Grieg violin sonata.
Ran Dank is a young man starting his career as a pianist. Plays like a young man but shows a pretty good talent.
Old J.S.Bach is always an inspiration.

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being