Monday, April 20, 2009

Rocky weekend


Rochelle Rasmussen-Sandeen - July 23 1951 - April 9 2009


Saturday we went to Daybreak Star Cultural center to honor the life of Leah's mother "Rocky" Quillute - Makah
President of "Honor Day" which is celebrated Aug 20 to honor our Native American cultural heritage.
Died suddenly of liver cancer. A sweet lady and a beautiful soul.

Later that day we went to Renton to hear the Rainier Symphony to hear a great performance by Ilkka Talvi of Mendelsohn's violin concerto.
In spite of my misgivings of Mendelsohn, he seems to me to have been somewhat of a "gentleman's pastime" sort of a composer, albeit a great one.

Before that, the orchestra played some Wagner (prelude to Tannhäuser which seemed a bit confusing seeming like every instrument had a different part. Maybe just my diminishing hearing.

Which didn't show up after the intermission when Brahms' second symphony rocked.
the concert was so inspiring that we decided to hear it again the next day at the Tukwila PAC

It was, if anything, better.

Then Some good food and good company at the book group meeting even though I had not "read the book" which in this case was a show at the Henry gallery.
Meredith says she would like to see the show, so maybe I'll find out what everybody was talking about.

Now is the springtime of all the stuff in the yard that must be cut, chopped, chipped, sorted, and stacked.

So bye for now and keep your stick on the ice.

13 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

Condolences on the loss of Leah's mother. Cancer and death, the dismal twins of the darker side of our universe, do not care much how nice, smart, sweet, or useful one of us might be. When their ticket is punched, badda-boom, there it is.

Nice that you found a concert you liked so well you attended it twice; which might be a first, or a second, for you two, enit?

Anonomann is winging in for another visit; that's cool. The Redwing Palace does get its share of guests; which is as it should be.

At the film club here in Tacoma, we get a few members each month who show up without seeing the movie, or one of the three. They still have a good time, and enjoy the discussion of the others who have seen it. Surprising you missed a shot at a gallery. Perhaps Miss M will shore things up.

I am now in the midst of unreasonable fear and panic about my eye surgery coming up on May 6, and ass deep in special appointments to take measurements, have a new physical, get special eye drops. I found out much more actually then I wanted to know about my eyes. I was fortunate not to have both eyes be amblyopic. Again, IF there are complications secondary to the surgery, I will very suddenly be legally blind, and my life will change a bit. But enough doom and gloom. There is always the bright side, the positive attitude, hope springs eternal and all that.

Glenn

6:58 AM  
Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

I was able to twist the tit of your last couple of sentences and morph them into a fine Twit-ku. Surprise, surprise, poet Mary Crow gave me permission to post her poems, and she had definitely copyrighted all her stuff. So I guess it pays to ask. Sherwin Bitsui turned down my offer to post some of his poems out of his book, SHAPESHIFT. It takes all kinds, enit?

Glenn

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glenn has not only posted your poems, Douglas, but a couple of dozen of Jack Spicer's too, another dead poet, dead at 40 in the late 60's. He bumped into him over on Bobby Byrd's blog.

............Emily

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Twit-ku, Schmit-ku, vat da hell is dis crap?

........Vinnie

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tis a new poetry form, Vin, and Doug is the creator of it. We are proud as punch of Sir Savant.

........Edgar Poo

9:31 AM  
Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

I feel better about my upcoming surgery today; hope it lasts.

Glenn

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I ever called a guy a Twit, it ment he was a faggot punk, or like dat. Maybee I don know squat bout no poetry, but one ting is for sure, you won't find me on no computer tryin to twitter or put my face in no book.

.................Vinnie

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soon, soon, my master beckons, and he and I will roll and ride out into the sunshine, and be embraced by the breeze off the lake, choking on the car fumes, and disregarding the epithets tossed at us by motorists.

.........Fidelio

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dougie, hey dude, don't forget your music class this week. You must be getting old, man.

.........Eddy Emerald

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you noticed how many gay poets that Glenn has featured on FFTR? Frank O'Hara, Jack Spicer, Edgar Allen Poo, Allen Ginsberg, William Burroughs, and many others. Is he trying to tell us something?

.........Lester Buildsafire

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most fags are poets! Everybody knows dat! Most reel men don't write dAt sissy crap.

........Vinnie

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on Vinnie, read Bobby Byrd, Bob Hicok, Sherman Alexie, and a ton of others who are straight shooters who happen to be sensitive.

...........Emily

10:29 AM  
Blogger Jannie Funster said...

I like the camraderie after memorial services, the food and company. I'm usually the life of any funeral.

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being