Sunday, June 08, 2008

Oh, No, not another bike trip

Yeah, well, get used to it, amigos.

This morning when I tried to connect with all you beautiful, talented and intelligent folks, my computer decided to try to load something that I did not want to load up.
In the process, the silly thing attempted to dial up your number without my approval.
Now, I appreciate all the free stuff I'm getting from Brother Bill, but I do wish to maintain a smidgen of autonomy.
I don't even mind a little Spam (Why hasn't Hormel™ complained about this?)

Any I reacted to this continuing cyber abuse by deciding to take a ride.

I've been wanting (certain dear friends will undoubtedly insist that I've always been wanting. Listen not to these people) ever since my serendipitous High altitude training I got while carousing about the High desert of Arizona and New Mexico, to revisit the loop of the two main rivers filling the south end of Lake Washington.

To wit, the Cedar and the Green, both of which have trails associated with their names.

Only this time in a clockwise direction.

So I did.

Log Specifics follow;

Trip length, 60.8 miles
Time, 6:25:41
Average speed, 9.5 (I was hoping to maintain over ten, but quod Peugeot, Peugeot.)
Maximum speed, 27.7 (Not as dramatic as earlier maxes but the route is basically flat)
Cumulative Distance, 418 miles.

First 16 miles was a breeze, second 16 miles was work, third 16 miles was torture.
The last 12 I was the backside of a dragon. (see footnote for explanation of that inane joke)

At 32 I tried some of that stuff that comes in little red bottles that claims to give one five hours of low stress energy.
Seems to have worked.
Especially when one combines it with a liter of Dr Pepper™ with only two miles to go.
The only significant hill on the journey.
You're not supposed to do that, accordion to the label.

Actually since one is following one river upstream and the other down, due to the intrinsic nature of rivers (seeking, but seldom finding their own level and all)
it was technically up hill one way and down hill the other.

Technically.

My charlyhorsing legs tell me a different story, however.

The highest test gasoline isn't much solace when one's tires are flat.

So I'm still wired, if you will excuse my bringing electronics into this.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Lane Savant said...

Actually, the Green fills the south end of Puget Sound the north end is filled by, oh, I dunno, the Pacific Ocean?

9:44 PM  
Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

You and Fidelio out there, pedal to the pavement, bone to the medal, big wheels turning, little wheels spinning--Jesus, 60 miles!

I thought you were supposed to add like 5-10 miles onto trips, as you build up your strength and stamina. All I can say is lactic acid will have a field day today with your legs and back. At your age, you should not be pumping so hard; or maybe you should. Anyway, it is probably significant that your computer, and old cyberman were in part responsible for the motivation and rancor that pushed you onto Fidelio, and out into the wilds of the east side.

I, too, have often wondered why Hormel has not registered some kind of legal complaint regarding the demeaning of their product, all the negative connotations, etc.

Melva and I were at an Open House party at some friends yesterday, and one of the guys there, that I know slightly, just got back from Australia. Gas is 8 bucks a gallon there. He was so bummed out he could barely mumble something about the liberals are giving lip service to the election of a black Obama, but the fascist rednecks will rig the election and put McCain into office, and the crisis will deepen, the tunnel will lengthen, and there is no light down there, just a ton of darkness. Food for thought, enit?

5 buck gas is on the horizon. Melva and I are taking a very short road trip, to Montana and back, in a couple of weeks; no several thousand mile trek as per our usual Summer vacation trip; less than one thousand. Melva has slowed down Minnie Pearl ( Our Hybrid Camary), and is averaging 43mpg these days, but even that is a killer. My old Isuzu pick up is only logging 24mpg, and it is killing me to commute the 25 miles to work and back daily; like 9 bucks a day for peddling my ass to the office.

Maybe we all need to become a nation of bicycle riders, like China used to be, before they found a way to boost their economy, and widen their middle class, and get the I WANT disease; they want cars, and cars need petrol; and so on, and so on it goes. I am told that gas is 9 bucks a gallon in England and France. Where and when does this nightmare end?

Glenn

5:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being