Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Musical events




This Friday, I, or We, may be going to the chapel again to hear the Seattle Chamber Players. I say "may" 'cause even though I do want to go, I may forget, or other impediments to the best laid plans may intrude.

Two new mp3s, Quasimodo is a waltz in 5/4 for piano bass and flute.
Piano Pi was originally to be for four hands but wasn't complicated enough and is now for 3.14159 hands.

MySpace site now has it's fill of palmermusic with the addition of four poems of Joyce poems for piano and tenor, with an oboe in place of the singer because I didn't want to publish the text because Steven, James' grandson, holds on to copyrights so tenaciously.
And besides I don't have a recording of it's one performance.
Bryan did a good job on it and I will try to record it again sometime.

Same story with the Quasimodo piece.

And a computer simulated string quartet.

Early next week Meredith and I will board a train for Los Angeles and thence to Arizona to look at Indian archaeological sites, something she has wanted to do since she studied archeology in college.

We will be back in time for the opera (I Puritani), but any itinerant house guests may have to fend for themselves for a while.
No guarantees as to the diurnal cycle of the hard working Keth.


Here's a picture of the amphibian now rusting in my backyard.
I don't know why I didn't paint the battery cover




Maybe I'll have some more interesting pictures when we get back from the trip.

4 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

What a lovely pic! Does it have anything to do with the posting? Was it one of yours, or Meredith's, or just a fetching jpg that you snagged as a reader/viewer hook?

Hope you make it to the Seattle Chamber Players, for they seem to have "quality" performances that you enjoy.

QUASIMODO DREAM WALTZ @ 2:40 really pleased me. It took me to several levels, and held my interest throughout. The pianist does get real busy playing both sides of the keyboard, but it sounds excellent. The bass is like a bystander; had to listen closely to hear its contribution. I love the flute flirting with the piano, sometimes in sync and sometimes in counterpoint, just like a woman would. If this is a waltz, it could be a corker for the Stars to dance to on TV, and even ice skaters could have to be creative to find moves to compliment the places the music takes you. Quasimodo is dreaming of Esmerelda, of holding her close, even though she struggles a bit, and swinging her around in the air like a ragdoll. Her screams help to puncutate the movements. For me, though, the piece is complex enough, innovative enough, that it is only a few notes away from morphing into jazz. I can see the sax player holding his axe, and miming his lips into several riffs as the flute and piano "dance". There is a drummer there too, and he dearly wants to put a deeper base line, and stronger thumping beat into the piece, sometimes in sync, and sometimes in counterpoint. Yeah, I dug it.

Now, the 3rd Mvt. Flute Concerto, while Quasimodo still danced in my mind, left me listless; all 6:23 of it. Flutes, you say? They sounded like other instruments, were forced most of the time not to trill and make flute sounds. I swore in the beginning and toward the end, I heard violins, or some kind of strings; possibly just the flutes making sustained woodwind sounds, enit? The piece might be too "progressive" for my untrained ears, or it just did not flip my wig. Quasimodo is popping. The flute concerto will take some more listening to.

When I went to MySpace, I could not make comments, or listen to music unless I was a "member". What a gyp! I love the pic of you in deep shadow though, wearing your gortex hoody. The Joyce stuff sounds terrific and interesting.

So you and M will take the train, and let the Northwest and CA go by your windows like a string of postcards? Hope you make it to Blanco Canyon, and Four Corners, and possibly up into Colorado. Melva and I spend a week driving to the ruins and digs. North of Sodona, there is a canyon of ruins that is fascinating too.

It will be strange to have you out of town, out of blogging commission. Though perhaps not. Sometimes you go a week without banging a keyboard anyway. Somehow we will have to carry on without the master.

I guess the infamous Anonomann may be in town for some of your absence? Or not? You could not be more vague and undirected, but then again, it is no one's business, enit?

Glenn

12:17 PM  
Blogger Lane Savant said...

Yeah, I don't know about that need to be a "member"to comment. I'll check it out.
This is the piece that Meighan played flute for on that fateful night.
But this example is just a computer simulation.
It kinda reminds me a little bit of Miles Davis' "Sketches of Spain"
Dunno why.

The flute concerto is about denial and a withdrawal into an imaginary world.
Scored for 2 flutes, 2 clarinets, and strings 8,2,2.
A chamber orchestra.

Re Anomann, I guess is as good as you guess.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Lane Savant said...

The picture is Meredith's taken at Ohanapecosh.
Nice place.

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo, Lane (& Meredith)!
Great pic!!!!!
Tschüß,
Anonomann

2:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being