Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Poetry month

I found out this morning that April is supposed to be "Poetry Month".
Now that it's half over.
Here's what I think of poetry.

Th’expense of spirit in a waste of shame
Is lust in action; and till action, lust
Is perjured, murd’rous, bloody, full of blame,
Savage, extreme, rude, cruel, not to trust;
Enjoyed no sooner but despised straight;
Past reason hunted, and no sooner had,
Past reason hated as a swallowed bait,
On purpose laid to make the taker mad;
Mad in pursuit, and in possession so,
Had, having, and in quest to have, extreme;
A bliss in proof, and proved, a very woe;
Before, a joy proposed; behind, a dream.
All this the world well knows, yet none knows well
To shun the heaven that leads men to this hell.


Nice walking bass type of meter
Clever rhyme scheme.
As incomprehensible as war.

Did somebody stuff his OED in a shredder or what?

Is there someone out there who can translate this into English Or even one of the eusual European languages (I can run it through Babelfish)

Anyway, I stole itfrom Jeremy Denk, who can probably make sense of it.

Jeremy Denk is not incomprehensible.
Jeremy Denk is a genius of clarity.
Go to his site (over to your right in the links column) and click on "if you are a brave soul"




I suppose I should, but I still refuse to apologize for the following.

1,
The fog rolls in on little cat feet -
Takes a dump in the bay -
Then runs around like a crazy thing -
Chasing nothing.


2,
I must away to the toilet go -
Perhaps to take a leak -
What once was a mighty river flow -
Is now a dribbling creek -


3,
I must go down to the garage again -
Where the lonely Volvo beds -
And all I ask is a good stout wrench -
Faith, courage, and leverage.


4,
Living my freeze dried life -
A spoonful and water makes Thursday -
A spoonful and water makes Friday -
It's easy.


5,
If you are a young man and still full of it -
The symbols mean one thing -
If you are an old man and damn near through with it
The symbols mean other things

So leave me alone, leave me alone.


6,
I was young -
I would rule the world -
With my own brilliant hand -
But I had to sell my lever -
To rent a place to stand.


P.S.

You cannot stop the river's flow -
Dammit!




But I can stop this.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

Poetry Month, you say? Gosh, perhaps that is why I have been gushing poetically all these weeks. I thought it was a virus, or something I ingested.

Denk can be turgid, dark, and brooding--much like yourself, fine sir.

I really dug your poetic snippets, kind of Haiku gone awry, kind of poetic mushrooms springing up from your cloudy consciousness. I posted them, of course, immediately on FFTR. You are amassing quite a legacy of poetry and rant over on that other site.

Who's Haiku

No one knows what it's like
to be the sad man, the bad man
behind blue eyes.

Hey, thanks in part to you, I did figure out how to transfer some pics to FFTR. It has become transformed overnight. In a few weeks I will come up with jpg's for every entry. I still have to remember, or refigure out how to scan my photos on, like you do. It shouldn't be too hard. I am old and stupid in the ways of Cyber.

Glenn

5:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Daltry stole that blue eyes line from me! Check out the cut entitled, BLUE EYED BLUES, on my one album, SIDEBURNS--it is cut 4; wasn't a hit for me. So the Who hit is a cover, and I never got a dime for it. Ain't that always the way?

Eddy Emerald

5:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello my Lovelies:

April being "Poetry Month", it only seems appropo that you use this opportunity to re-read, and post some of my hundreds of poems. I know that you have done a lot of that for me, especially Butch has; but it never hurts a girl's sense of herself, if you pay some more attention.

Emily

5:38 AM  
Blogger Lane Savant said...

That's not Jeremy's poem, he's quoting whoever wrote it.
I think.

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being