Thursday, December 07, 2006

Dean Chabreau Mercer

It's Pearl Harbor day again and I want to honor my second stepfather (my mothers fourth husband)
Dean Mercer was a pharmicists mate on the USS California stationed in Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7 1941.
He was a great guy, my mother's favorite.
I also want to honor the American citizens of Japanese ancestry who were sent to concentration camps during the war that followed.
It's out of respect for them and their sense of humor that I refrain from making jokes about there being a nip in the air on that date.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another great blog of yours. The U.S. had concentration camps, too, as you note, but was not losing the war.

2:38 AM  
Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

Doug:

Sombitch, sir. I have known you, and known of your since at least 1958. When we were teenagers, either I was so self-centered that I did not listen to your actual past history, or you never said shit about it. When did Dean die? I think I remember seeing him once or twice before he passed. He was a fireman, right?
Glenn

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being