Thursday, October 26, 2006

Road trip

My wife wanted to go to Wyoming this time.
Friday we drove to Le grande, Oregon, seven hours on the road. Gassed up in Pendelton 10 gals, 28 mpg. We did not stop at the mill, unusual for her, she really must have wanted Wyoming.
Next days seven hours brought us to Kemmerer, or something like that. Hard to find a room because of the seasonal workers. They are digging for oil or building some secret government plot or some damn thing. Only place open to eat, a pizza parlor (no names, I'm not grtting paid for any advertizing) Had to drink a beer with an east european name that ends in "weiser". definately not my usual which is brewed by an Irish concern founded in 1759 and has a harp on the label. I drink that because of James Joyce and because of the harp (I am a musician, my composition teacher said so).
Anyway, we are now in Wyoming.

This is what driving in Wyoming looks like.


O.K. This is not a photograph. My wife left her new digital camera at a resturant near Yakima. I drew it in paint. But there is really not much difference.






Kemmerer is the home of J.C. Penny. we checked out his first ever store (I won't mention it's name {no ads, remember}) they let us into the museum which was his house.

Cute little place.

Onward!

Wyoming is full of fossils (not just us). Fossils of a variety the very helpful Mormon guy in the Chamber of Commerce information shack (I don't remember what city it was) referred as "Your Dinosaurs". They're not mine Johnny, they're God's, for Chrissake! I wasn't even born then. Nice guy though.

Speaking of religion I spent most evenings of our trip in the reading rooms of the various branches of the great Gideon library for bible study reading various chapters. Malachi, Matt, Mark, Luke, and even some of Johnny, I believe.
Turns out all that eye for eye and pluck it out stuff is in the new testament.
With all the other interpretations, I wonder why our fundamentalists can't accept "If a foetus offends thee, pluck it out"

Screw 'em

Any way, lots of Dinosaurs and such. Wife loves 'em, I prefer finding social and religious anomolies to vent my botteled up rage on.

Lots of excellent museums in Wyoming, mostly having to do with the settling of the west. Mainly Mormons. One display featured a hand cart that several bands of these incredably stalwart pilgrims dragged across the country (Well, they started at the Mississippi) it had a treadmill and you could try it.
Like dragging a Volkswagen!! Thousands of miles!! No Motels!! They had to bring their own Bibles!!

I also read a book about this migration, you should read it next time you think you've got a tough job. I forget the name and I can't find it just now. Ask me and I'll get back to you.

Smells.

Wyoming is a volcanic site. Yellowstone is a part of it. Yellowstone is on top of the biggest volcanic hot spot on the planet! Last time it blew it killed everything! Why worry about it? Sulfur and its various oxides smell. Hot springs smell like Sulfur and brimstone. I hate to keep going on about religion like this, but I have suffered at the hands of "Christians who believe in peace, love , and understanding". What's so much fun? I ask you.

Any way we looked at all that stuff and drove back to Yakima, found the camera (with a picture of someone's truck on it) and drove over the pass to Ohanapecosh side of Mt Rainier.

This is what driving in Washington looks like.












Why the Mormons wanted to stop in Utah is beyond me.


Smells much better here.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am greatly enjoying reading "the life and advenures Of Doug Palmer" . You write so well! Sounds like your vacation was fun...it made me want to go to Wyoming. I so glad to read that your Kitty is mending. The addition of your pictures is really fun too. I look forward to the next chapter.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Leann said...

the camera must be working good now.loved the wyoming trip,and the pic it is so pretty.glad the cat is doing good.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

I hope a lot of people are reading your blog, because it's funny, thought provoking and well written. Thanks!

11:33 PM  
Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

Doug:

Melva and I are fond of road trips every summer, usually right after school lets out, and over the fourth of July. Didn't you come out of Yellowstone and check out Jackson Hole area and the Grand Tetons, where they filmed SHANE? There is a tram there called "THE TOP OF THE WORLD", and it really is. The dinosaur museum mid-state was quite well done. It is in that funny little town with the world's largest natural hot springs, and the whole resort smells like sulfer and hot iodine. Ranchers raise a lot of bison around there. And what about Devil's Tower, and the flashback to CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND? And Cody, and Ft. Laramie, and all those monuments and parks dedicated to George Armstrong Custer. I am glad you found some reading rooms, but hell, sir, the next time you are in Wyoming --open your peepers. It is a bitching state.
Glenn

5:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being