Tuesday, August 29, 2006

How war damages us all

Living on the leftover scraps of her impossible dreams
I hear a child crying, trapped
under the rubble of her destroyed heart

She dresses in colors of deep reds and dark blues
As if she wanted to look like a bruise

I want to cry like a nine year old girl over a dying pet

I used to keep my heart locked safe in a steel vault,
Safe,
Saved

I have learned since then,
I've grown

An imprisoned heart cannot breathe

Now I keep it in a bullet proof vest
Strong but flexible

At least I will survive

4 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

I like the sound of this poem when read out loud. What inspired it? Like Heron, I'm wondering about the levels of meaning in it. Although some poems are better heard than explained. Maybe this is one of them.

1:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why like a nine-year-old GIRL over a dying pet?? Are you so macho that you don't believe boys or neb of any age can't/don't cry over the loss of a cherished pet??

5:34 PM  
Blogger Lane Savant said...

Anonomous, When girls cry they get sympathy. When boys cry they are just asking for more abuse.
A crying girl exites neotony.
A crying boy exites disgust.
Life is red in tooth and claw, survival requires a CYA philosophy.
It is too bad that children are abused and end up leading sad lives, but that's not something I can do anything about.
The vest is a compromise, I am willing to admit to the crime of empathy, but I am not willing to suffer someone else's problems.
I am as macho as I need to be

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the image of your heart in a bulletproof vest!

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being