Saturday, September 06, 2008

Salon

Was great.
The best part was David's three numerology inspired piano pieces.
Unfortunately the evening was made uncomfortable when Gerry Schwarz showed up (his son Julian, a cellist, played in Gavin Borcherd's piano trio piece).

Life just seems to love shoving my face in it.

At least the Volvo ran right.
The earlier problem was simply due to a failure on my part to do the complete service that I had planned at 300,000 miles.

I had hoped to be able to relate my experience at the Thursday dance program but
wet blanket events have really taken the edge off it all.

But, anyway, it was an 80 minute Butoh-movement inspired event performed by Sheri Brown and Lin Lucas.

They created a mesmerizing "floating world" narrative that included imagery from the sublime to the grotesque (at one point they donned gas masks)
The dance continued through three pieces played without pause.

The gas masks were utilized during the piece by Keith Eisenbrey (hellofa nice guy)

Keith also contributed his ping-pong ball chord wherein buckets (two) of balls were tossed on the dancers.
In the context, they seemed to represent the kind of deeper meaning that ocean waves or wind can inspire.

Keits's piece was titled "Improvising a Framework for Composition so as to Compose my thoughts About Improvisation", it was the second.

The other two pieces were, first "Wake" by Aaron Keyt.
And last "Three Rings of Gradus, for Fux, Tesla, and Milo the Wrestler".

It was in this last that I was involved.

The ping-pong balls having done their dance earlier in the piece were scattered around the floor and the dancers began picking them up and handing them to the audience.
I was handed six of them after which the dancers moved through the audience and out of my sight.
So I sort of continued the dance by manipulating them in my hands in various configurations, row, columns, hexagrams, pentagrams with a ball on top, two triangles, molecules, etc, constantly moving and changing to the accompaniment of the music, which consisted of pretty much all the ways that "A" can be played on the piano.

Hypnotic, Mesmerizing.

I felt, when I accepted the balls, that I was sealing a pact of some sort with the world created by the dancers, creating a bridge between me, stuck here in mundania, and the fulfilling world of the creative imagination.

Somebody else's imagination, that is, I'm already stuck with mine and welcome to it.

So the Volvo just had to crap out on me on the way home half way up the hill on Ryan way just to keep things in balance, reality being a jealous master (at least I was able to back off the road out of fairly heavy traffic to wait for the tow truck.
A truck summoned by a nice lady in a Lexus (I think it was an Lexus, cars all look alike to me these days).

So I want to thank her again for stopping.

Ir was the distributor cap or the rotor, something on this car that can suddenly just pop for no apparent reason. It's happened before and I should have changed as routine maintenance.

So there you go.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

Congrats on having the wherewithall to throw caution to the wind, and go to the Salon. Thanks for answering all the inquiries, and filling the holes in your former narrative posting. It is some kind of cosmic joke, ironic as hell that one of finest mechanics that ever torqued on a wrench and busted his knuckles on cars has become disenchanted with the need to keep his own equipment maintained. Mechanic heal thyself, enit?

It was fun to post the Submariner pix; glad you enjoyed them. I will do a posting on Shakespearean films next. What do you think of the header my son-in-law, Joel, helped me to post?

The performing arts can be magical when you connect to the message and the medium. Terrific write up on the performances, sir.

Glenn

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being