Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Wind Sprint

I am in the process of calibrating my bike's "computer". Using the Volvo's odometer, I measured the trip from here to the Renton Fred Meyer and back. The Volvo says 8.75 miles.
I set the bike to a wheel diameter reading closer to true and made the trip.
My legs must be getting something from
all of this because they seemed to have a mind of their own. I kept
asking if they would like to coast a bit but they just kept pumping. I
guess that's a good sign. I did manage to run out of breath on the
little hill through Dead Horse canyon. (Canyon? Surely it's not big
enough to be called a canyon) That was at the 7.something mile point. I think there was only one stop, maybe two.

The bike says 8.2 miles.
12.8 avg. 28.8 max almost flat run.
Still
needs further calibration. The Volvo has been compared to lots of
speedometer checks out on the highways and a few "your speed" radar
signs. I'll accept it as accurate.

Fidelio is crippled right at the moment due to a worn cotter pin.
The pin holds the pedal levers to the main driveshaft.
I was unable to find a proper size one at the bike shop in the U-district.
I might have to make one.

Still haven't
got any violinists lined up. Pros are a little leery of modern
composers because most of the stuff we write is incomprehensible and
impossible to play. Well, really, My computer can play 48 bars of 32nds at the lowest register of a tuba, why can't you?
Anyway the two string quartet pieces are virtually done.
String players don't have the breath problems that wind players do.
Listen to P.D.Q.'s schleptet for illumination of this phenomenon.

The piano, clarinet, and bass thingie is in the confusing stage where it is full of nice noises but refuses to gel into some kind of unity of purpose.

Life's like that, ain't it?

I've got to go now, the Volvo is apart getting it's 300,000 service.
I have to put it back together before I can look for a new cotter pin.
It's going to need a new radiator.

And, in the greater sense, don't we all?

Just ran a spell check. there is a "proper" spelling for "ain't" which I was brought up to believe was "not a word"

Mutatis Mutandis

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

Of course "ain't" is a proper word, a real word, as in "Ain't that a bitch?",or "It just ain't right." Merriam-Webster says:
1. am not, are not, is not 2. have not, has not 3. does not, did not, do not --used in some varieties of Black English [I wonder what the hell that is, perhaps the hip talk our children bombard us with?]
usage: Although widely disapproved as nonstandard, and more common in the habitual speech of the less educated, "ain't" is flourishing in American English. It is used in both speech and writing to catch attention and to gain emphasis. It is used especially in journalistic prose as a part of a consistently informal style. It is also used for metrical purposes in songs, such as AIN'T SHE SWEET? and IT AIN'T NECESSARILY SO. Our evidence shows that the British use of the word matches the American usage.

So feel good about the word, and lay it on us as much as your desire, and that ain't no BS.

I am still overwhelmed by a man who owns a Volvo with 300,000 miles on it. I ask again, is that the original head, or engine? Maybe you should have started this Bike phenomonon, this cycling mania like last Spring. You are in for some crap wet and damp air coming up in just a few weeks. But who knows, perhaps one should train in difficult weather so that he will be more than ready when the sunbreaks abound. You have been pumping so hard you shattered the cotter pin. Christ, man, give Fidelio some slack, some respect, some TLC, and a new cotter pin.

It never occurred to me that the computer could create music that was actually unplayable. Is that the case, or is the music just very difficult to play? Wasn't it great that Miss Mussel reads FFTL, and put her comment on it. Has she done that previously. I guess I raised her ire or curiousity. Has Anonomann now returned to Germany? It sounds and seems like he has. We have all corresponded so profoundly for months now, I am sad that we did not actually shake apendages with each other when he was in the Northwest with his lovely librarian.

Have you watched any of the films you borrowed from me, Dougie, or have you just been way too busy on the kitchen tile, and bike rides, and classes?

I close with a piece of poetry I stole from Laurence Fishburne narrating the film, ASHES AND SNOW.

The Whale does not sing
Because it has the answers.
It does so because it has
a Song.

Glenn

10:31 AM  
Blogger Lane Savant said...

Oh my, your films. I've watched them all and want to return them soon.
I've never even taken the valve cover off the Volvo
Simple thing that a cotter pin is, I still couldn't find the right size one. Had to turn down and grind from a larger pin. but it works now.
Am not, are not, is not, have not, has not, does not, did not, do not that sompthin'?
Creating impossible music is easy, just ask a flute to play a four-minute long note.
Or ask a flautist to listen to some of your music.

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo, Lane!
Have you tried Rennie Großmann for the violinist you need??
The bike shop she and her hubby run might also have the piece you need for "Fidelio".
Try her for both.
If you can't find her address elsewhere, you might write her a letter (snail-mail) and enclose the letter in an envelope to the Seattle Chamber Music Society (10 Harrison St., Seattle) asking you to please forward it (with as stamp from you) to her, saying you are a subscriber and Dr. Win Hutton said he saw her at the concert on Wed., August 8 while he was ushering there.
Glück wünsche ich Dir!!!!
Grüße auch von Margrit, auch an Meredith.
Tschüß,
Anonomann
P.S. The Lovely Librarian and I travel to Münster (Westfalen) Saturday for the Premiere of my German text for Purcell's "König Artur"; I'm on "pins & needles".

3:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my! -
When I hear "ain't" -
I feel "fain't".
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Emily ..tee hee!

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or, as a local politician once said;
If b-u-r-d doesn't spell "bird", what does it spell?
....George Jefferson Clinton III

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being