Sunday, April 15, 2007

Volunteers of the world, UNITE !!

Check out "Berkshire Beak wetting" at Soho the dog.
It's about stupidity at managent level in organizations other than the one I'm pissed off at. (That would be the Seattle Symphony)
They are trying to extort money from volunteers. Brilliant!
These were my comments;



Lane Savant said...

The problem seems to be going around.
I wonder if it is not related to the theory that Blair Tindall expressed in "Mozart in the Jungle"
Said theory being that an abundance of arts funding in the 60's and 70's or therabouts has created a "bubble" that is beginning to break, leaving the talentless rats and weasels feeding on it in a vulnerable position.
Typical of these sorts is to abuse and blame the innocent.

12:06 PM

sfmike said...

Well, they have to pay for all those "development" consultants somehow.

Professional golf tournaments, by the way, are flirting with the same shabby treatment of their legions of volunteers, insisting for instance on a donation in order to work at a parking lot all day.

So I propose that elderly volunteers unite! If you have to pay, you're not a "volunteer." The organizations can damned well pay somebody else to do your "job" if they are that greedy.

12:23 PM
Lane Savant said...

Actually, my experience with the Seattle Symphony was more bizzare than that.
I was a season subscriber, contributed money, helped build Soundbridge, and had more than 1000 hours of volunteer time when they booted me for reasons or prejudices I can make no sense of.
A volunteer strike sounds like a good idea.

2:00 PM

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

Man, being a volunteer is supposed to be a selfless act, something positive to do with free time. The VA uses them extensively, and they work in tandem with the work study people. In many of the places I have worked over the decades, the volunteers, some of them, are more reliable and talented than many of the paid staff.
So, hey, all of us almost-retired and retired types out there need to heed the word of Sir Lane Savant, the fighter of injustice, and the friend to volunteers everywhere. Paying to be a volunteer, Christ, who do these companies think they are. Of course that still goes on regardless, through tithing and charging of the loyal, or the congregation, the scamming of the innocent in the bible belt, those "love offerings" Oral Roberts and the ilk talk of all the time --that goes on 24/7. I just got scammed last week by a cyber bandit "phisher" who copied exactly the website of Amazon.com, and contacted my about "suspicious activity on my account," requesting some of my credit card update. Like a fish to the hook I bit on it, and then I contacted Amazon, and they broke the news to me. I had to change my passwords, and block the credit card, and now I have to go hat in hand to my financial institution, and let them straighten this all out. I guess assholes come in all sizes and guises.
I wondered about my own retirement, wondered if I would want, after a year or so of giving up my abusive work daily rut, to volunteer somewhere, or take one of those minimum wage jobs at McDonalds or Wal-Mart. Probably not. I work with the blind now, and maybe I could still do that in some capacity. Probably I will just enjoy my leisure time, and try and get a novel or a film review book published.

Keep your fist clenched Sir Savant, the assholes gather around like rats to raw meat, and for today, in this place, and on this blog, only you and the Lance of Liberty stand between the vermin and the innocent.
Glenn

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right On!!, Lane and Butch!!!!!!!!!

5:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right On, Lane and Butch!!!!!!!!!

5:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on, Lane and Butch!!!!!!!!!

5:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After the "right on!" comment, I'd like to add:
Thanks, Butch, for the very useful info on how to avoid being "phished"!!
As to working with the blind, I have not, but greatly admire those who do.
As part of my theater-volunteering, I have just translated (this time from early-English into contemporary German) the spoken dialog for Purcell's opera "King Arthur" (the sung-words will remain in English) for the City Theater in Muenster (Opening 1 September), and Arthur's betrothed is blind, and I find it fascinating how she "sees" with her ears and other senses. If any of your readers are interested in this, they would also find reading the libretto or Dryden's original text.

2:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you say "the innocent," do you mean the management, or the musicians? It's really not clear.

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've got Tindall's point all wrong. She even praised the volunteers early on in her book, saying that they're the ones who kept the organizations afloat -- BEFORE all the administrators came in to suck up all the money, doing a fraction of the work the volunteers had done. Go back and read it again.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Lane Savant said...

The innocent are the low paid, the no benefit workers, the musicians and the volunteers.
But mainly ME

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, WE appreciate YOU. Bravo, and thank you!! Please keep up the good work.

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being