Monday, April 04, 2011

Faith and other sources of light.

So I asked him, what motivates you? What do you believe in?

What does this picture inspire in you?


He says, "I believe that for every drop of rain that falls, something gets wet."
"Come on be serious" I counter.
"I am being serious, I only let myself believe in things that I can actually observe. They are the only things I can react to, and so few, if any, can I do anything about."
"Yeah," (me again) "that's all very nice, but it's not what I'm asking."
I think I've got him on the hook now
"What do you imagine happens where you can't see? Don't you ever speculate about the mysteries? Where do we come from, why are we here?"
"Matters of imagination I let run free," he says "but I don't believe in or assign any credence." he snorts "any thing can be anything in the mind."
"So these rain drops are just raindrops to you?"
"Not even that" the smug little smartass says, "You've shown me a picture, how do I know it's not some kind of fake?"
"Well, for inst..." I started to say.
"Could be a photomicrograph of the surface of highly polished metal."
"Well, for inst..." I started to say again.
"Or the surface of some outer space asteroid"
"Well, for inst..." I started to say once more, then changed my mind when I realized I was arguing with a figment of my own imagination.

Which is not a very productive way of filling in blog space.

I think my carotid arteries are filling up with cholesterol shutting off the flow of blood to my brain.

11 Comments:

Blogger Berowne said...

Well written, enjoyble comment.

3:06 PM  
Blogger G. B. Miller said...

I've written blog posts like this.

Its all in how you approach it on whether or not it becomes funny.

This was funny.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Lane Savant said...

Thought I had a story, or some wisdom, or a shaggy dog joke, but it was just a headache.

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a fun banter!

8:55 AM  
Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

Loved this conversation between you and your pesky self.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Don't fret ... I talk to myself too.

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Life Poems said...

Loved this conversation, nicely done :)
Short Poems

2:38 PM  
Blogger Trellissimo said...

"Which is not a very productive way of filling in blog space."
Yes it is, Lane. Because it resulted in a very intriguing post. Thanks.

5:23 AM  
Blogger chiccoreal said...

Dear Lane: Interna dialogue is the ramblings of mind chatter and we need to turn off the flow to become the flow! Totally absorbing and excellent dialogue!

6:57 AM  
Blogger hyperCRYPTICal said...

I have this conversation with myself too. Look at the prompt and there is nothing there. Then these little ideas come from nowhere and began to grow and fashion themselves. Imagination is a wonderful thing.

Couldn't get anywhere with Mona Lisa though!

Anna :o]

10:19 AM  
Blogger Lucy Westenra said...

Lane . . at least if you talk to yourself you can guarantee an intelligent conversation. I like this Magpie. It's non-standard. Thanks.

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being