Thursday, November 20, 2008

No Volvo

Been fooling around with this poem for years, finally read it.


I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.



- John Masefield

Well, I always thought it was by Jayne Mansfield


My version is;

I must go down to the garage again
Where the lonely Volvo beds
All I ask is a good stout wrench
Faith, courage and leverage.

Not as good as Johns, I suppose, but I have been down to the sea
and it didn't turn out well.

It was a lot of work
Cost a lot of money

And my Porsche got vandalized in the marina parking lot.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

Masefield's poem is one of my favorites too, and I liked your variation on the theme. I took it as inspiration to write a little sumpin that I posted. In my enthusiasm for collaboration I really overstepped several boundaries at Jannie's site, and will be lucky if I am not 86'ed.

Glenn

5:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bon jour, Messieur Lain!
Oui, toujours la meme chose.
Au'voir
Anonohomme

2:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bon jour encore, Monsieur Lain!
Oui, e doit etre "Monsieur"; pas de "Messieur"! Anonomann et un idiot!!
Au'voir
Anonohomme

2:31 AM  
Blogger Lane Savant said...

C'est "L'Ane" M. Anohomme, pas "Laine"
Comme il dit dans votre langue,
"le Smart ass"

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being