Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Sherman

Part of Sunday's excursion was to check out the big deal bookstore at the mall.
I don't remember the name of the giganzo bookstore. One of the handful that has destroyed all the little hole-in-wall bookstores and put a generation of bookstore cats out of work.
I wouldn't be surprised if Soho the cat-hating mutt* had something to do with it.
Besides, aforementioned boogie-woogie bookstore doesn't pay me to mention it's decadent, bourgeois, capitalist, charge-you for-the-coffee-and cookies, no cat name in this sophisticated and internationally loved blogsite.

But that's where we found Sherman Alexie's "True story of a part time Indian"
Which book is a masterpiece.
Maybe I'm just weak from the flu or whatever it is and hopefully was, but I spent the whole three and a half hours yesterday with tears in my eyes, sobbing, laughing, and occasionally both at the same time.
Thanks Sherman

* See Soho the dog
  • Soho the Dog
  • Labels:

    2 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hallo, Lane, Glenn, und alle andere Leser dieses Blogsites!
    "True Story ... " and all other books can be bought at Seattle's independent bookstore, Elliott Bay Books on First St. near Main St.
    That's where I bought "The Rest is Noise", which you indicate you have been reading.
    The best deals, however, can be had through abesbooks.com

    Tschüß,
    Anonomann
    P.S. Once more regards from the LL (and me) to you, Meredith, and Keth.

    2:46 AM  
    Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

    Thinking of your posting last night, I stopped by KING'S BOOKS in Tacoma, a fine old book store that comes with 2 cats and great prices. They are our hosts for the TFC monthly meetings. They provide us with folding chairs and space. I bought a Movie book, and a novel by Cormac McCarthy. The huge Mega Book Stores that shall not be named do seem pretentious and cold and sterile, that's for sure.

    Sherman Alexie's book, THE ABSOLUTELY TRUE DIARY OF A PART-TIME INDIAN, his latest work, which is prize-winning and selling well, was one of his best. Like a lot of his work, his character, 14 year old Arnold Spirit, aka Junior, is semi-autobiographical. I remember having the same reaction as you did reading it, laughing, weeping, being in awe of his prose and his message. But then I always respond to Sherman in that manner.

    I know you read RESERVATION BLUES with your Book Club, and Alexie came and spoke to the group. But have you read LONE RANGER AND TONTO FISTFIGHT IN HEAVEN? It sets up the characters that show up in RESERVATION BLUES. I was really touched as well with the short stories and poems in THE TOUGHEST INDIAN IN THE WORLD. I have a copy of TEN LITTLE INDIANS, and have not read it yet. It sits under the McCarthy Border Trilogy that I am slogging through. If you get a chance read FLIGHT, with its 15 year old character, Zits. It is like reading Vonnegut's SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE; lots of time tripping. You also might did THE FIRST INDIAN ON THE MOON, who was a woman; more short stories and poetry. INDIAN KILLER is an angry book, yet captivating, even though he never really gives your closure with it. If you haven't read several of the articles I have reprinted on Sherman on FFTR, give yourself a treat, and just do it.

    You probably have noticed that I have gone off the deep end commenting on NOTES FROM THE KELP, and bombarding Ms. Shapiro with my poetry, and hers; which was a surprise to both of us.

    She does composition teaching as well, with face time or on line. Maybe after you have soaked up that David has to offer, you might study with, or collaborate with Alex. That would be cool.

    Glenn

    7:11 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home

    Web Counter
    My worth as a human being