Saturday, January 17, 2009

Aleatory Collocation of Vocables

I've just been listening to John Adams "Dr. Atomic" on the radio and I don't feel so bad that my "Cello concerto" doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
Only It's not a cello concerto anymore.
Just a piece for orchestra.
Rhythm-based and noisy over which I'm trying to float some melody.
But the problem is that when one thinks of cello tunes the magnificently graceful "Swan" by...by... Saint Saens? gets in the way of cooking up with a suitable couple of bars.
The viola didn't give me that sort of problem.
So now it's just an orchestral thing.

Just stayed up all night reading a book called "Charlatan" by Pope Brock.
About a guy who got incredibly wealthy slicing people open and inserting bits of Goat glands and taking their money.
He was also a radio broadcast pioneer who is more or less responsible for the creation of the "infomercial" selling useless "medicine" through a radio medical diagnosis program.
At one time his "border-blaster" station based on the border in Mexico was the largest in the world.
After the usual hubris that this kind of thing brings, the station became home of Wolfman Jack and was a major influence in the rise of popular music in this country by introducing America to the rhythms and tunes of her rural areas.

So the question in my mind and many of yours, no doubt is "what does it take to be this kind of a people mover"?
How do you fool so many of the people so much of the time?

I like to study these kinds of anomalies of common sense because I think it has a lot to do with "art".
Leading one's audience into listening things they wouldn't necessarily consider music.
One of my favorite handbooks on the subject is Velikovsky's "When Worlds Collide"
I read it and know its nonsense, but go along for the ride anyway.
Another "learning experience" of course, is the many times I've fallen for salesmen's pitches.
Ending up with subscriptions for magazines I'm not the least bit interested in reading.

So, I try to incorporate these techniques, these mechanisms, into my music.
Start out with some nice tonal harmonic hook and lead you into whatever evil stuff.
I'm trying to corrupt your mind with.
Without your suspecting a thing.
Make promises.
Ameliorate suspicion with lies to explain lies.
Demanding further wastes of time.
Getting out of town before the sheriff arrives.
Manipulating your ears with wiggly air 'till you actually believe you've not wasted more of your valuable, rapidly evaporating time.

Sort of like what you are doing at this very moment!

Anyway, my mind begins to wander and I must chase after.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lane Savant said...

Hey hey, my hit counter is back!
I'm somebody again!
Wheee....!

1:37 PM  
Blogger kransberg-talvi said...

Great post.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Lane Savant said...

City just dropped by and replaced a bunch of light bulbs with fluorescents.
frightfully decent of 'em, eh wot?

2:28 PM  
Blogger robbi said...

ahhh, the wandering mind.Mine is just misplaced, left somewhere in the 60's.But I did listen to the audio and apart from the repition apart from the repition apart from the repition apart from the repition, for me I shall stick to Bruckner.The blog is great, and I say that not just because I am retired-66-and a Pisces, because of it.

9:44 PM  
Blogger Lane Savant said...

My pathological imagination writhes in contemplation of a removed-by-author comment.

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I wrote some classical stuff too.
.............Eddy Emerald

9:47 AM  
Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

Nice to see that others are beginning to appreciate the wonder and incredible wit this blog offers on a regular basis.

I guess the sales job done on Young America by the rap artists and slam dancers would be a perfect example of taking horse shit and smearing it deep enough and often enough that we all got used to the smell, some even kind of liking it; still makes me want to retch.

If music corrupts, then sure, your music corrupts totally. If, for one, have never been the same since listening to hours of the stuff. It has given me a new lease on life, grown hair in odd places, and cleared up my complexion.

Glenn

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being