Saturday, June 02, 2007

More about Mimi

I woke up this morning to the sound of my cat murdering a small bird in my bedroom.
By the time I creaked out of bed (due to a very amusing bout of lower back pain achieved by the tiling, demo, and construction work I've been doing on the kitchen, I do not move fast these days), the cat and the bird had disappeared.
At least he took it out side.
Anyway, in order to justify the previous whining, I felt the moral imperative to provide you with some kind of post today.
So, tying in with the stuff about La Boheme, I looked up the bacteria that causes Tuberculosis on Adopt a Microbe.
Here's what it said.

Hello, I'm M. tuberculosis.
I'm called an 'acid fast' bacteria because of my waxy cell walls.
On a special stain called a Ziehl-Neelsen stain, I look red.
I cause tuberculosis, infecting lots of people all over the world.

I get inhaled into your lungs and cause primary TB, which most people don't even notice.
Your immune system keeps me dormant so I wait for years until it gets weak.
That's when I kick in!! I give you cough, weight loss, fever, night sweats, and tiredness.
Your lungs become like a block of cheese, full of holes.

From there I spread to the lymph nodes and infect all over your body.
In the spine, I'm called Pott's disease.
In miliary TB I send tiny bits out to infect lots and lots of organs.


Well, I guess I should be glad I don't have that!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you, Meredith, Glenn, Margrit and I never get it and that your furry cat keeps the house mouse-free!!!!
- Anonomann

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TB is what I hope the above-mentioned never get -- and the furry cat should concentrate on mice rather than birds.
- Anonomann

5:59 PM  
Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

Our male cat, Keezimoto, aka Keezimann, or Keezerton, is a fearless hunter, and often he brings us gifts and leaves them on the front or back porch right in front of the door. Countless rats, mice, birds, and once a rabbit/bunny. One day he left a full grown crow. How the hell he killed that I don't know.

Your episode, being awakened from a sound sleep to the screams and yowls of feline birdacide must have been harrowing. Was there residue of feathers, blood, or cat fur? That cat door you have installed I guess is both a blessing in terms of the cat coming and going, and a horror when it hauls in its latest victims. I wonder what the cat was trying to communicate to you specifically by doing the deed in your presence, rather than Meredith's room, or your stepson's? Does it have something to do with your Karma? Perhaps.

As to "the previous whining", I for one have no earthly idea what you might be referring to, unless it was the ever so gentle chiding I have given you regarding whole weeks of silence from your end. I realize that a creative busy retiree like yourself has a life, has chores,and responsibilities, but I also felt that you have conditioned some of us to await your postings with the anticipation and glee of children on Christmas Eve.

As to the ADOPT A MICROBE data, gosh that is clever adolescent stuff. I was hoping that you would have outlined Cheezosis, which is a terrible rash and rotting of limbs that is secondary to the excessive inhalation of Grout dust, much like the hystoplasmosis that comes from inhaling the dust off of chicken or bird droppings.

Glenn

12:41 PM  
Blogger Lane Savant said...

The "whining" refers to my complaints about my tile-related sore back.
It took about twenty seconds to lever myself out of bed.
It still hurts to straighten up.
Solvitur Ambulando

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being