Friday, June 10, 2011

That little violin I told you about

As expected, putting a finish on the 1/8 violin has, as usual, added even more flaws and exacerbated some of the old ones.
Scratches I thought I had sanded out pop into brilliant relief with the addition of a little stain.
Ah well, Maybe ten or twelve coats of clear lacquer will make everything come out looking sharp, or at least reflect enough light so as to make the scratches, the uneven staining, the wood filler in the holes caused by the sloppy carving, the ets and the ceteras, disappear from the face of the eye.

Maybe, I'll paint the ducky's head green and his bill orange as a distraction, camouflage, if you will.

Or if you won't.

After that, I've got the 1/4 size one to finish up.
Then some mods on the mandora and the ukulele and all the other little projects that litter the benches and floors of a hebephrenic imagination such as mine.

By the way, I've received notice that my one minute piece for clarinet has been rejected. This means I may now post the video of it's performance at SCCC.
Where it was accompanied by piano and lasted longer than a minnit.

Stay tuned.

3 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Buttkus said...

And we will stay tuned, sir,
we of the Savantites, we of
the Palmer posse, for it is
your roughshod creativity
that the world craves,
probably needs, but is too
ignorant and greedy to take
the time to check out your
basement or your kopf.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Jannie Funster said...

People whose music received much initial "rejection"...

Billy Joel.

Tori Amos.

Mozart.

Elvis.

Doug Palmer.

Stravinsky.

The Beatles.

Beethoven.

Any questions??

xoxo

And I think the scratches will add the je ne sais qois people will talk about for centuries to come.

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo, Lane!!
Now I know what I smelled the other day; it was the lacquer on the violin!!
Great idea to paint the duck green and its bill orange to attract attention from the other visible flaws/ The important thing anyway about an instrument is how it SOUNDS!!
Jannie Funster is right; the best composers' best works were often rejected when they first were heard; I always believed a composer must die in order to be appreciated; I still hope YPU will be an exception!!!
Tschuess,
Anonomann
P.S. Greetings, as usual, from the LL to you, Meredith, and Keth.

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
My worth as a human being